This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

track anouncing

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
carlton
Registered Member

track anouncing

Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:18 am
has anyone considered using espeak or similar to announce tracks as they change? and are there currently any plans to incorporate such a system in to V2.0?

I have produced a simple Qt3 test program to ensure the system works in principal (using QProcess to launch the espeak command), but I have yet to get the amarok version to work.

If anyone else is looking at this problem, it would be good to collaborate. I am currently working on V1.4.9.1, as I don't have KDE4 installed yet.

Carlton.
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Re: track anouncing

Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:39 am
It would probably sound silly and get annoying quickly, unless the speech synth was producing excellent natural sounding speech. Which they can't, to my knowledge.

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
carlton
Registered Member

Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:17 pm
I agree that I probably wouldn't want track announcing on all the time.
The most likely scenario would be to announce tracks based on rating, or some combination of rating and play frequency. I often listen to my music collection away from the PC where I can't see which tracks are playing. Whilst the espeak voices are not ideal, it would give me a tool to expand to other systems as time progresses. I am currently considering it as a private project to add a feature I would like, rather than generate a permanent feature as part of the next release.
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:49 am
At any rate, doing this with Amarok 2's new powerful scripting interface will be trivial.

http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/Development/ ... _HowTo_2.0

--
carlton
Registered Member

Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:23 pm
I am currently using 32 bit Mandriva 2008.0, for which KDE4 is not ready for release.
Which flavour of Linux would you recommend for working with amarok 2
T.I.A.
Carlton.
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:28 am
Kubuntu for example.

--