This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Scripting the playlist filter

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ufotofu
Registered Member

Scripting the playlist filter

Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:52 pm
Hello, I am one of those people who prefers to use amarok with one large playlist ("all collection") and then use the excellent filtering capabilities to narrow down the playlist. For me, this is simply more efficient than clearing and loading a new playlist (I know about smart and dynamic playlists, but still I find the filter is the holy grail for me).

So here I am, trying to automate the inserting of a filter string into the filter text box. So far I have written a short bash script that copies a filter string to the KDE clipboard using dcop. I can issue a simple command (ex. "amarokfilter bedtime"), then use the mouse to clear the filter text box and middle-click to paste the filter string. This works well, but the ultimate solution would be to make the script paste directly into the text box.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on this? Is it even possible without hacking the source code to amarok itself?