This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

new forum for Amarok 2 ?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
rubyinthedust
Registered Member
OS

new forum for Amarok 2 ?

Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:12 am
With the release of the first Beta of Amarok 2 I think it would not be a bad idea to pool all our comments into one forum.

I've run into a few problems and before I go and file a bug report it might be good to ask other beta users. Maybe it's just a missing (or removed) feature or perhaps my poor configuration.
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Re: new forum for Amarok 2 ?

Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:00 pm
Well you can use the existing forum, just mention what version you are using. This is always a good idea ;)

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
dangle_wtf

Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:37 pm
Eventually though, separate boards on this forum for Amarok 2 on Linux, Windows and OS X wouldn't be a bad idea! That would sort the people who pay attention from those who can't tell what OS they're using ;)

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
rubyinthedust
Registered Member
OS

Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:28 pm
I think it's time.
dangle_wtf

Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:14 pm
No point now - with the suspension of development on Amarok 1.4, Amarok 2.x will be the only version actively supported.

There's a large body of support material for 1.4 here that is very useful for most issues that arise, and we've discovered that in general, Amarok users ARE intelligent enough to provide version information (in some cases, eventually!).

Having two forums will not stop people posting requests for assistance on the wrong one, and will only cause frustration at having to constantly tell people to post on the *other* forum.

If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:15 am
dangle_wtf wrote:No point now - with the suspension of development on Amarok 1.4, Amarok 2.x will be the only version actively supported.

There's a large body of support material for 1.4 here that is very useful for most issues that arise, and we've discovered that in general, Amarok users ARE intelligent enough to provide version information (in some cases, eventually!).

Having two forums will not stop people posting requests for assistance on the wrong one, and will only cause frustration at having to constantly tell people to post on the *other* forum.

Yeah, I agree with this.

--
Boni
Registered Member

Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:45 pm
And what about the seperation between Windows, Linux and MacOS?
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:41 pm
Boni wrote:And what about the seperation between Windows, Linux and MacOS?

That's debatable as well. You see, technically all Amarok "ports" are the same program (same code base), with only minimal modifications. The only things that really differ are e.g. the Phonon audio backends.

So technically, most problems with e.g. the Linux version of Amarok 2, would also affect OSX and Windows users, except things like installing.

--
dangle_wtf

Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:29 pm
Mark Kretschmann wrote:
Boni wrote:And what about the seperation between Windows, Linux and MacOS?

That's debatable as well. You see, technically all Amarok "ports" are the same program (same code base), with only minimal modifications. The only things that really differ are e.g. the Phonon audio backends.

So technically, most problems with e.g. the Linux version of Amarok 2, would also affect OSX and Windows users, except things like installing.

AND it encourages people to think a little more before posting ;)

(well, for the most part. I'm sure we'll still get people going off half-cocked in the wrong threads simply because they didn't see a critical piece of information!)