This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Newbie to Amarok. Help needed with copying tracks to library/collection

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
arkroyal
Registered Member
Very new to Amarok after converting my Apple MacBook Pro to Ubuntu 8.04 from MAC OS X and need an alternative to iTunes.

I ilke the look and feel of Amarok and I think it will be the player of choice but struggling with copying music to my collection. If I put in a CD to play through Amarok, how do I save the tracks to my music library? Do I have to create a playlist for each CD I want to copy or is there a setting similar to iTunes where it prompts to add the tracks to the library?

Any help gratefully received.
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS
You have to rip the cd. AFAIK, this isn't built in to Amarok. I use KDE, and like KAudioCreator, so that's what I use. Depending on how you have Amarok set up, it will add the newly-ripped CD to your collection automatically or when you tell it to.

I suppose cd-ripping could be added to Amarok, but why? It is a music PLAYING program, and that's what it does best. Oddly enough though, you can *burn* CDs using Amarok, although I've never tried that function.

Try a few CD rippers and see what you like, and use that to rip your CDs.

Have fun!

arkroyal
Registered Member
dangle_wtf
If you can see the CD in Amarok (on the "files" sidebar, try browsing to cdrom:// ) then you can use kio magic to rip it to your collection. You'll need to set encoding and bit rate, as well as cddb info in KDE's control center (off the top of my head it's under peripherals somewhere), then simply highlight the tracks you want in your collection and drag them to the "collection" sidebar. ymmv though, so maybe play with individual tracks first.

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"