This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Amarok forgets Music folder after rsync

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Luke Drillhead
Registered Member
I'm using Amarok on two Ubuntu Linux PCs, one named Tom-Fastjuke and another named Toms-Jukebox.  Tom-Fastjuke is the fast machine with the better hardware.  Toms-Jukebox is an old clunker that is hooked up to my home entertainment center.  I do my downloads and music collection editing (tag files, album covers, etc.) on Toms-Fastjuke, then copy the collection over the wired network to Toms-Jukebox.  The collection is in identical locations on both PCs since I chose the same user name, tom, on each one.  Those locations are as follows:

data files:
Code: Select all
directory ==> /home/tom/.kde/share/apps/amarok
file ==> /home/tom/.kde/share/config/amarokrc

Music location:
Code: Select all
/home/tom/Music (and sub-folders)

With the Grsync GUI I'm copying the files over.  I'm using rsync so that it only copies what's changed and it deletes any file on the destination PC that is no longer on the source PC.  I have /home/tom/Music and all sub folders on the destination PC shared with the network so that I can rsync the music file changes directly where they belong on Toms-Jukebox.  The Amarok data files I've been copying indirectly at least for now.  I copy "/home/tom/.kde/share/apps/amarok" and "/home/tom/.kde/share/config/amarokrc" from the source PC to the destination PC into "/home/tom/Pent3", which is a shared folder.  I then go to Toms-Jukebox and copy those files from the Pent3 folder into the folders where they belong. 

This has been working in the sense that I've successfully been updating my collection on the destination PC.  Amarok forgets that the music collection is in /home/tom/Music.  If I click on the Collection tab on the left, no collection is shown.  However, if I click on the Playlists tab, all the playlists are there in tact.  To get the collection back, I have to go into Settings ===> Configure Amarok ===> Collection and then click on the check box by the Music folder.  Then I have to take have Amarok rescan the whole collection, which is quite large, and therefore takes a lot of time on that old clunker PC.  I get my collection back and in good working order.  However, at that point Amarok no longer knows which albums are newests. 

If I wanted to I could share my "/home/tom/.kde/share/apps/amarok" and "file ==> /home/tom/.kde/share/config/" directories and copy the files straight to them.  I don't see how that would make any difference.  Would it?  I've also gone into the terminal and used chown to make sure I own the data and config files and that permissions are set so I can do what I want with them.  That doesn't help.  Amarok still has to rescan the entire collection for me to get the collection back. 

There must be some information that I'm not copying over.  How can I get Amarok to remember where my music files are after I update my collection via an rsync?