This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Amarok 2 dependencies

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
theoriginaldus
Registered Member

Amarok 2 dependencies

Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:03 pm
I've been recently trying to sync a device with amarok 1.4 and have had no luck at all getting it to be seen, so I thought I would try with the beta of amarok 2.  However, when I came to actually install the beta, I was pretty much put off completely by the sheer mass of dependencies required to install under ubuntu.  I'm not saying it would be the same for all users, but for me at least the 3 items listed as dependencies fanned out to I would estimate around 200 packages in order to come to a point at which amarok could be installed.  In the end I just wasn't happy with the multitude of extras needed and have rolled back to an image from before I made the changes and am giving up for the time being.

I like amarok for a lot of reasons and I don't want to have to move away, but if I am unable to sync with it, then I will certainly be looking around at other software.  Is the release version of amarok 2 going to be so dependency heavy, I dont recall any similar problems when installing 1.4?

Thanks

Jon
dangle_wtf

Re: Amarok 2 dependencies

Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:37 pm
Well... it all depends whether you're currently using KDE3.x or 4.x - if the former, then you'll need to install KDE 4 to use Amarok 2. The anticipation is that by the time Amarok 2 replaces 1.4, the majority of users will be on KDE4 anyway.
Bear in mind, too, that Amarok 2 is still very much in the development/testing stage, as is KDE4, so the actual packages needed haven't really stabilised yet.

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
theoriginaldus
Registered Member

Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:41 pm
Ok sure, well I will certainly be taking another look when version 2 is at release and see what gives then.

Thanks for the reply

Jon
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:09 pm
To be precise, you only need the KDE 4 libraries. You could still run KDE 3 or Gnome or whatever as your desktop.

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
marcel
Registered Member
OS

Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:58 pm
Take a look at Project Neon, it might ease testing Amarok 2 for you.
dangle_wtf

Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:51 pm
Personally, I think you're more likely to be able to fix syncing of your media device if you provide more info in your other thread *about* the device and how you've tried to fix it. Amarok2 is still very much at the testing stage, and not guaranteed to give you any better results!

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"