This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Multiple computer support for the same library (mysql)

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
cong06
Registered Member
OS
So I wrote a post in the Ubuntu forums about a problem I was having, and a brilliant individual pointed out that Amarok doesn't support multiple connections to a library.

Sure enough, I disconnect from the mysql database on my desktop and I can suddenly connect to it on my laptop.
Why is this? Mysql can support multiple connections? Even with caching there should be a way for people to make multiple connections...

I guess I can see that my situation is a bit unique. Few people would care about connecting to the same database from two computers, so if it's not an option for an update, is there a work around?
joruffin
Registered Member
I also have this setup, so I am concerned as well.
All my files are net mounted at each computer, so a database is the only thing that really keeps the computers consistent. For a large collection, like mine, it would be a laborious task to get the metadata into a new computer. So far the only ways I've found are exporting/importing the database, and possibly remote DB synchronization. I need a solution for multiple concurrent users on, or a way to store the information with the files in a transparent way. I'm also very disappointed that amarok 2 doesn't seem to even have the mysql option anymore,
smithsan
Registered Member
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free software, and you are welcome to modify and redistribute it under the GPL license.
---------
smithsan
Link Building
cong06
Registered Member
OS
smithsan wrote:This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free software, and you are welcome to modify and redistribute it under the GPL license.
---------
smithsan
Link Building

Thanks. I'll remember next time to waste my time instead of making a suggestion to the people that can actually do something to improve their software.

On a lighter note the feature's been added quite recently so now I'm quite happy.
markey
KDE Developer
OS
FYI, the post by smithsan was spam. It seems to kinda fit in, but in reality it was created by a spam bot, with some kind of Markov algo. You can see the actual spam URL below his post.

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
dangle_wtf
Ooooh so tempting to change that URL!

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
pburness
Registered Member

Thanks. I'll remember next time to waste my time instead of making a suggestion to the people that can actually do something to improve their software.

On a lighter note the feature's been added quite recently so now I'm quite happy.

I'm using version 1.92.2 - is it possible with this version or do I need to go back to v1.4.xxxx?

Thanks
Phil
cong06
Registered Member
OS
I'm still having problems with multiple computers Is that the problem you're having pburness?
dangle_wtf
At this stage, Amarok doesn't have support for external mysql databases, only embedded mysql. This would indicate that what you want to do is not yet possible in A2. Stick with Amarok 1.4 for now, if you want to keep your existing setup, and keep an eye on the releases as they happen.

If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
cong06
Registered Member
OS
dangle_wtf wrote:At this stage, Amarok doesn't have support for external mysql databases, only embedded mysql. This would indicate that what you want to do is not yet possible in A2. Stick with Amarok 1.4 for now, if you want to keep your existing setup, and keep an eye on the releases as they happen.

I'm not quite sure why I thought that 1.4 had support for multiple connections to mysql. Are you saying that 1.4 doesn't work this way? Or are you saying that A2 doesn't and you think I switched to Beta 2?

I had tried Beta 2, but decided it didn't have enough features, so I switched back, and was still having problems.

If what I want to do in 1.4 should work, then I'll write up a forum post asking for help. If it's not supposed to work, then I'll just manage some how.
dangle_wtf
Ah, The first instance of Amarok in my post above should have read "Amarok 2" - sorry!
Check the wiki for some tips:
http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/MySQL_HowTo# ... L_Database

slink0623
Registered Member
I was just thinking about getting this setup on my system.  I have a F9 server and 2 XP's.  I was trying to see if I could get the mysql on F9 and share it with the windows systems.  But I noticed that the Beta Windows release of Amarok, doesn't have mysql in it.  Is that going to be coming, or is it in a previous release of the Win ver?  Thanks.