This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Question about automatic playlist syncinc with media device.

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
YenTheFirst
Registered Member
Hello, this is a bit funky, but please bear with me.

As a user of both Amarok and iPod, I've wanted to have something to match iTunes 'automatic syncing' capability, and Amarok doesn't seem to support this by default. I searched the internet, and these forums, but it seems like a feature that a few people want, but isn't in Amarok.

After looking at the problem, I decided to download the Amarok source and see what I could do. (This is my first time attempting to contribute directly to an open-source project). I added a few lines of code, which extend the DCOP interface. I added a 'syncPlaylist', which just exposes the functionality of 'playlist->right click->synchronize to media device' to DCOP.

I figure that, with this in place, it will be possible to write an Amarok script to accomplish the automatic sync.

I do realize that both a) Amarok 1.4.x is in feature freeze, and b) DCOP has been dropped in KDE4. That said, the code I wrote isn't so much a new behavior, as an interface that exposes existing behavior. Anyway, would anyone be interested in this? I understand it probably won't be integrated into release code, but if anyone wants to patch their own copy, I'd be glad to share it. (Please note that I'm not particularly skilled with QT programming, so it might not be the best implementation)

Would it be acceptable to post the code here, in the forums? or something like that?
LD
Registered Member
You might want to see if you could turn your patch into an Amarok 1.4 script in order to make it easier for folk to put it into their setups. Also I would suggest seeing if this could be integrated into the A2 media device protocals or however this is going to be done, with config to disable it.
YenTheFirst
Registered Member
I don't think I can do what I wanted in 1.4 with just a script, because currently there is no way to transfer a playlist to a media device via a script. (Am I wrong? if so, that would be a much better way to do this!)

I haven't tried out 2.0 yet, so I don't know if this functionality is already there, or if it would have to be patched in as well.

All my 'patch' does is make it possible to script the transferring of a playlist to a media device, which would allow the automatic playlist syncing everyone wants for their iPod.