This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

REQUEST: Rules that change id3tags on incoming podcasts

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
maxwax
Registered Member
I'm using Amarok to manage podcast subscriptions and copy newly downloaded podcast files to my Archos 605wifi personal media player.

This combination works very well, but when the creators of the podcast mp3 files place poorly chosen tags in the files id3 tag slots, that bad information flows through to the Archos and disrupts my playback experience.

I believe that user configurable rules within Amarok could be setup to re-write id3 tag data so that they follow my consistent standards.  Right now I'm manually performing this by using EasyTag to change id3 tags of podcast files copied to the Archos.  It's getting the job done, but rules to do this automatically seems like a good idea that would help a lot of people beyond me.

When I've got the id3 tag information setup right, the process of access what I want is like this:

Turn on Archos - Select Music
Select Genres - Choose Podcast
Podcasts listed as "Artist Name" tag -- Select "NPR Fresh Air"
"Albums" of this podcast listed -- normally not used so click through to track level listing
Tracks of this podcast listed showing information like "Interview with Paul Krugman 10-30-08"  -- select one and listen.

I hope that makes sense especially if you don't have an archos.  This simple process breaks when the id3 tag is filled with bad information starting with podcasts that don't have their Genre set to 'Podcast' or leave it blank.  Next, some podcasts will have their artist tag set with the name of a person such as the artist performing on the podcast instead of the name of the podcasts.  Some will also duplicate track information in album.. All this leads to things being messy and disorganized.

All I'd like to see is rules on a per podcast basis that would let me set the incoming id3 tag automatically for each new podcast.  Perhaps on the configuration screen, a few fill-in boxes for Genre, Artist, Album and Track could be provided and if they are filled in, whatever is there would be automatically written to the mp3 file?  This way I could say:

NPR Fresh Air Podcast:
Artist: Fresh Air
Album: Fresh Air (redundant, yes)
Track:
Genre: Podcast

Better support on the Archos would obviously be nice, but future features on the Archos can only act on the information contained in the mp3 files, so the idea of having Amarok fix the information still seems good.

My apologies if this is something that has been discussed before and if there are known work-arounds, please point me to them!

Thanks!