This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

feature request - Compilations & Various Artists

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
pburness
Registered Member
Is it possible to make sure that Albums stored under a directory (like compilations) are always grouped under various artists?

Phil
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS
What I have noticed is that if you rip the album so that the correct artists are listed with each track, the album will automatically sort into Various Artists, and for some odd reason, not show up in your Newest Albums list. However, if you rip with say, Spring Awakening Cast as the Artist for all tracks, the Spring Awakening soundtrack will be listed under Spring Awakening Cast as the Artist. If you want it to sort into Various Artists you have to right-click on the album title and select Various Artists.

I don't believe Amarok notices directories when deciding whether to sort under an Artist name, or Various Artists.

pburness
Registered Member
Hmm,
Doesn't seem to happen with AMAROK 2 (v1.98) (But I'll try again).

I was thinking more along the lines of having a check mark or flag in the database related to the album name, so that if the flag is set, all tracks on this album would appear in the browser as various artists/album/track number/artist/title. If the flag is not set then they are appear in the browser as artist/album/track number/title

You could then maintain your naming / tagging scheme but determine on a per album basis what appears under various artists.

I guess the proper way to do this is to add a 'part of a compilation' idtag in the music itself and have Amarok  use that.

Phil
dangle_wtf
Various Artist handling is still under construction in A2

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
pburness
Registered Member
What are they constructing and how are they intending it to work?
markey
KDE Developer
OS

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer