This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Need advice with managing a music collection shared by several users

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
matthias.weiss
Registered Member
Hi!

My friends and I decided to unite our music collections into one. Each one of us will access the files with an individual program, in my case amarok.

For this I need certain functionality and I ask you for your advice.

I'd like to have the collection devided in 3 parts:
1.) Music I like
2.) Music I don't like
3.) Music I don't know yet

Currently I'm achieving this by using 3 different root directories for each of the 3 parts. This ensures that the information "like it", "don't like it", "don't know" isn't lost, even if the program crashes or the database gets corrupted. Further I can search individually within this 3 parts.

Because dividing the collection reflects my personal taste, this isn't usefull for my friends. Hence, I want to unite this 3 parts into one directory tree. By doing this,, I'll lose the "like it", "don't like it" and "don't know" information.

So here are my questions:
matthias.weiss
Registered Member
Ooops, klicked to early:

The questions:
    - Is there another way to distinguish the music I like/don't like than using the star rating?
    - How can I specify the information "like it", "don't like it", "don't know" in a search?
    - Can share the I like/don't like information with my friends as recommended/not recommended listening lists?

Thanx in advance!

matthias
metalcoat
Registered Member
Your best bet would be to use the star ratings.  Hopefully your buddies don't also use the ratings system.  My suggestion would be give music you don't like a 1 star or none, music you don't know a 2 or 3 and music you like a 5 star.  Other than that it is pretty impossible with the current program. 
MaxPolun
Registered Member
in amarok 1.4 you could add labels say: mattlikes for ones you like and mattdislikes for ones you don't like (and unlabeled for the ones you don't know). However amarok 2 does not support labels as far as I know. Also, you could add a comment tag to all the ones you like/dislike though searching on comments is impossible so it's not that useful.