This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

ape (monkeys audio)

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
flying_stranger
Registered Member

ape (monkeys audio)

Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:46 pm
what about ape support in 2.0?
no ape, no cue... my 200gb lossless collection became unreadable after migrating to linux :-(

flying_stranger, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
Sekisushaï
Registered Member

Re: ape (monkeys audio)

Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:06 pm
flac ?:)
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:23 am
Wikipedia says:

Monkey’s Audio is a file format for audio data compression. Being a lossless compression format, Monkey’s Audio does not remove information from the audio stream, as lossy compression formats such as MP3, AAC, and Vorbis do.

So you either need to install an APE codec for your audio backend, or simply convert the files to FLAC, which would be a lossless process.

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
flying_stranger
Registered Member

Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:55 am
well, but anyway
with a gstreamer backend and ape-codec installed amarok still cannot play ape files. it just doesn't add them to the playlist. and it's certainly that it's not a problem with codecs, because I can play ape with other players, totem for exemlpe.

flying_stranger, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
dangle_wtf

Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:37 am
Amarok doesn't use gstreamer - check for xine .ape playbacksupport, and make sure taglib also supports .ape, otherwise you won't be able to add them to your collection.

Note I'm not guaranteeing such support exists - just that if it did, that's where you'd need to check.

edit: Oh, and you probably shouldn't be using 2.0

Last edited by dangle_wtf on Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"