This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Amarock 2 rc1 dissatisfied

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
roshow
Registered Member

Amarock 2 rc1 dissatisfied

Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:29 am
I do not like v2 rc1 first of all where is the search feature?

1)  In earlier Amarok release you had your collection box showing a file view of  your music with a search box. in that list view there would be a "All Artists" file you could click on which brought all your songs in a list view  showing Title, Artist, Album ect. at the top of Amarok you would be able to search through your list. Now in Amarok 2.rc1 you can only search via a file view on the left hand side. Now you can however show all of your music via the play list on the right side however the format is a huge disappointment since you cannot search it and it lists the album above the artist. so not only can you search but it is hard to scroll for artist because the album is above the artist.

2)Another flaw is that there is no ability to delete a song file. You can remove a song from the play list however there is no option to completely delete a file.

3) Older Amarok version sound bar worked in sync with my laptops sound wheel. However Amaroks sound feature only works in the application itself and not with my laptop function. As you can understand this causes frustration. I can have my computer sound all the way down and Amarok will still play full blast while at the same time a movie or YouTube video will have no sound.

I have over 70 thousand songs and this new release is horrible for music organizing and editing.

A big disappointment I would often recommend Amarok over any other program however now I am forced to look for another music player. 

Last edited by roshow on Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boni
Registered Member

Re: Amarock 2 rc1 dissatisfied

Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:56 am
Or go back to 1.4 and wait until there is a better release.
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:45 am

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
roshow
Registered Member

Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:53 am
Sorry Mark, I think that the Amarok team is going to loose a lot of respect and support from its users.  Just reading the comments on your blog posting has clearly made a point that people are not happy about alot of the changes
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:31 am
You don't have to feel sorry for me, no worries. I'm very happy with Amarok 2.

--
brotherpug
Registered Member

Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:46 pm
I just joined this forum to ask about this.

I'm using Amarok 1.94, on Fedora 10. The Amarok version I have comes from the Fedora repos.

I've always used Amarok and been totally satisfied with it, it does everything I want it to do, except now I find that I cannot sort my files on the "composer" tag. Because of the way I have (carefully) written my tags, this makes my music collection nearly useless.

Can anyone tell me if this missing feature is down to the Fedora packagers, in which case I can get the RPM from another source; a missing feature (as per this thread) that just needs patience on my behalf because it'll be implemented in an update; something I'll never have again, so look for something else to use (not that I'm aware of any other players that sort on that tag).

Thanks!
roshow
Registered Member

Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:54 am
Another problem I have now is that the Ipod feature is quite broken. Now in the mean time I have found and switched to Banshee which works great and also includes editing and organizational features I am looking for.  http://banshee-project.org/ Since I just started using it I don't know if it is what I will stick with but so far it is basically a rip of Itunes
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:07 am
brotherpug wrote:I just joined this forum to ask about this.

I'm using Amarok 1.94, on Fedora 10. The Amarok version I have comes from the Fedora repos.

I've always used Amarok and been totally satisfied with it, it does everything I want it to do, except now I find that I cannot sort my files on the "composer" tag. Because of the way I have (carefully) written my tags, this makes my music collection nearly useless.

We plan on supporting the Composer tag better in later versions (like 2.1). We realize that it is important, especially for classical music listeners.

--
brotherpug
Registered Member

Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:31 pm
Mark Kretschmann wrote:

We plan on supporting the Composer tag better in later versions (like 2.1). We realize that it is important, especially for classical music listeners.

Thank you for your answer, very reassuring. Also, thanks for your time on the product, I do very much appreciate being able to use it.
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:05 am
Mark Kretschmann wrote:

News update: Sorting collection by Composer has just been committed to SVN. Will be part of Amarok 2.0.1.

--
imported-Manolete
Registered Member

Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:44 am
Mark Kretschmann wrote:
Mark Kretschmann wrote:

I've always used Amarok and been totally satisfied with it, it

News update: Sorting collection by Composer has just been committed to SVN. Will be part of Amarok 2.0.1.

Good to read! I am also rather carefull with my ID3 tags, especially for classical music, but not only; I have many flamenco/pop/rock/traditional/etc, songs which are versions of other songs, and I like to make clear in my tags who's the real composer of such music and who is/are the interpreters. So, I think what you announce here is good news for all melomaniacs, :).

Also, the "composer" tag doesn't seem to work in version 2.0 (installed a couple of hours ago from Debian Experimental repo, on Debian Lenny ,with kde 4.1.3 for AMD64 from Experimental repos as well) unless there were a composer tag before, so, I can edit previous "composer" data but not create a new one, I can change the composer's name of a track if it had some composer's name before but I can't write the composer's name for a track that never had any. I suppose this hasn't any relation with the sorting by composer feature, but ¿is this a bug, and is it planned to be fixed soon, or just something is wrong on my system?

Another matter related with the composer stuff: Have y'all, devs, thought about add an option for retrieveing Wikipedia info not only from the "Artist" tag but also from the "Composer" one, depending of which one would select the user?

Regards and thanks for your cool work.
brotherpug
Registered Member

Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:50 pm
Mark Kretschmann wrote:
Mark Kretschmann wrote:

I don't know when that update found its way into the Fedora Repos but its there now. Thanks for the effort, I do appreciate it.
The only practical way I can really help is by putting my hand my pocket. A donation will be made.
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:07 am
brotherpug wrote:The only practical way I can really help is by putting my hand my pocket. A donation will be made.

Thank you! We appreciate that very much :)

--
darkscot
Registered Member
OS

Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:26 pm
roshow wrote:Sorry Mark, I think that the Amarok team is going to loose a lot of respect and support from its users. 

I think that so far Amarok 2 has been very dissapointing, especially for fervent 1.4 supporters like me.  However, from what I have read about the new features that are coming soon I think it will be sensational.  If version 2.1 lives up to its promise then all the doubters (myself included) will be eating their words. 

"We don't have a monopoly. We have market share. There's a difference." STEVE BALLMER