This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Embedded cover art not recognized by Amarok 2

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
MercuryShadow
Registered Member
I was looking forward to Amarok 2, since Amarok 1 was the only music player that properly read the cover art images embedded in my ID3v2 tags.  Now this functionality appears to be missing.

*sigh*

I hope it's supported in a later release, for now I guess I have to go back to Amarok 1.

Arch Linux + KDE 4.4.3
markey
KDE Developer
OS
Normally this should work, but maybe you're hitting this bug:

http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=167158

PS: You can also browse the full bug database with this URL: http://tinyurl.com/amarok2bugs

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
MercuryShadow
Registered Member
I don't think that bug applies to me, since it has nothing to do with embedded cover art.

Arch Linux + KDE 4.4.3
runsnbunsn
Registered Member
same here all my cover arts embedded in the mp3 tage dont show up!

using OSX with the new amarok2 .dmg
markey
KDE Developer
OS
Sorry, I just realized I was wrong here. Actually the feature is simply not yet implemented, but planned for later releases, e.g. 2.1.

--
runsnbunsn
Registered Member
ok nice to hear it is planned so i dont have to search for the covers manually for now ;)
MercuryShadow
Registered Member
Is there any timetable for when this will be added?

Arch Linux + KDE 4.4.3
markey
KDE Developer
OS
MercuryShadow wrote:Is there any timetable for when this will be added?

Nope, we don't usually work this way.

Before a new version is being started, we only have a rough idea of what kind of features we want, and then most of it comes along spontaneously. Sometimes we also receive patches from outside contributors.

We're currently in feature freeze for 2.1.0, but we usually tend to add a small number of features for point releases (2.1.1) too, so if we receive a patch for it, we might add it then.

--
insanimo
Registered Member
Will the support for cover art tags also include FLAC files now that the FLAC standard supports it?  This and transcoding are my top wishes.  Amarok is definitely my favorite Linux app -- thanks!
textamoebe
Registered Member
OS
Hello all :-)

Since Songbird will no longer support Linux I decided to migrate to Amarok, but all my cover Art is now implemented into the mp3-files.

This thread is now quite old, but I'm still missing the support of embedded cover art in mp3-files. Are there any plans do implement this feature? May I hope for that until next release?

Kind reagards and please excuse my english,
~textamoebe
markey
KDE Developer
OS
textamoebe wrote:Hello all :-)

Since Songbird will no longer support Linux I decided to migrate to Amarok, but all my cover Art is now implemented into the mp3-files.

This thread is now quite old, but I'm still missing the support of embedded cover art in mp3-files. Are there any plans do implement this feature? May I hope for that until next release?

We have an experimental patch for this, but due to some technical issues with it, we could not include it in an official release so far. If you build Amarok yourself, you could give it a try (it worked pretty well for me):

http://gitorious.org/amarok/amarok/merge_requests/134

--
textamoebe
Registered Member
OS
Thanks for your response! I'll try it out :-)
Martux
Registered Member
OS
Hi!
This patch is still experimental? I would love to see my embedded covers back in flac and mp3. Any update on this?
Mamarok
Manager
OS
If you read the comments in the merge request you would see that without feedback from the requester we can't do much.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
Martux
Registered Member
OS
Well, he doesn't seem to care anymore :(
Anything I could do?