This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Mass Storage MP3 Device

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
vaughn
Registered Member

Mass Storage MP3 Device

Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:42 pm
Hi,

I am a longtime user of Amarok and I excitedly upgraded to 2.0 today.

I have a phone with a removable memory card that I have been using with Amarok 1 for over a year. I am trying to configure where I want Amarok 2 to sync my playlists and podcasts. In the old Amarok, I just went to preferences and configured the locations from there. I've looked, but I don't see such a menu in Amarok 2.

Where do I go to configure how Amarok works with my device?

Thanks,
Vaughn
Boni
Registered Member

Re: Mass Storage MP3 Device

Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:58 pm
As I remember, generic storage will be implemented soon
vaughn
Registered Member

Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:00 pm
Boni wrote:As I remember, generic storage will be implemented soon

Darn. I will eagerly await that. In the meantime, I'll go back to Amarok 1.
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:15 am
USB Mass Storage support is planned for future releases. But let's be honest here, is it really that useful? I have several of these devices, and I simply mount them and fill them up with simple tools like Midnight Commander.

Anyway, check out my blog on this topic:

http://amarok.kde.org/blog/archives/809 ... rok-2.html

Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
Boni
Registered Member

Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:56 am
It's highly useful!
Just an example: You generate a playlist with all songs with ratings above 85 (maybe 100 tracks) and you simply drag them to your Storage Device. Otherwise I would have to search for each single track via konqueror & co. One of the features why amarok is so special.
vaughn
Registered Member

Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:04 pm
Amen to what Boni said.

This was one of Amarok's distinguishing features to me. No other player allowed me to designate where on my player I wanted my podcasts synced to. And I like my playlists. I sure don't want to spend time hunting for songs in folder and dragging them back and forth to my player when I can just add or delete from a list in Amarok and let the sync feature take care of it.

What's more, several mass storage players now bill themselves as Linux friendly (like the iAudioF2). I can understand why the Amarok team would want to serve the iPod and MTP user (there are a lot of them), but I don't think it should come at the expensive of more open players.

I'm glad they'll eventually add back the feature though and I look forward to using it.