This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

My review - and wishes...

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
MR_Claude
Registered Member
OS

My review - and wishes...

Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:49 pm
Hi all, I am a user of Amarok since... well, pretty much since I am using Linux and tried to find a player that would handle a very large collection. To the extent that I switched to KDE once I found Amarok did the trick :)

Overall I am quite happy with A2, keeping in mind that it's "just a beginning"

- The UI : if it gets a little to get used to it, it seems quite promising, once  the number of plasmoids to put in the context view grows and enables the user to get a very customized player.  Speaking of plasmoids, maybe a quickstart one with info on how to start using Amarok, displayed by default in the first installation would make it easier for new users, and make the whole look less greyish (also it would not display after the scan, a nice last played widget with songs marked as never played ;) )The drag&drop feature is nifty but the icons seem very big, maybe you could have tossed the icons  currently in the 'more' section in the main view?

- I do miss the spreadsheet playlist, because it's such an efficient tool to manage a collection. It's bound to come back in one form or another, or so I've read, so I'll just wait.

- The Internet services : I'll be quick on this : it's an awesome feature, almost worth the change to 2.0 alone, and can only get better over time. Just one thing : it mixes streaming and podcasts services and in the latter case, podcasts are also managed elsewhere in the player, this is not very discoverable and a bit confusing. For example, OPML makes you subscribe to podcasts that appear in the podcast section (which you find in the 'playlist' tab, which was already odd back in 1.x series), and BBC offers a service that they announce as podcasts but for which you have the option to stream or copy, but that's different from the way podcasts are handled. Or, Radio France script offers streams, for which the 'copy' option offers a broken name file (all streams have a name for copy: "FranceBleu.") and I don't even know what I would be copying, since it's a stream. I didn't check if it's just this script. All this does not provide a very consistent behavior, even though it is a secondary issue.

- Podcasts : the podcasts management is very minimalistic. I wish there were graphical icons to indicate if the podcast is available/downloaded. Right now, the same thing is displayed if i load a podcast directly, if i click on 'download', if the subscription downloads on demand or automatically. Eventually I don't know where the podcast is.

- Wishes : Amarok is all about rediscover music, and that's great. One thing that is overlooked in order to rediscover music is ID3 tags. I may be a tag freak, but I like having lots of info in them. Sadly Amarok does not implement a lot of them (TagLib does, afaik).
First example: the bpm count.  No this is not only for DJing, it's a good way to play 'similar' songs and it's a perfect use case for the fuzzy playlist (match all songs with approximately 120 bpm). Be it for mood playlist, for generating a playlist for those who jog with their Ipod, for a party between friend (I am still not talking about professional dj-ing).
Second example, i like to tag the original performer of a song, and generate a playlist with only covers (or only Beatles covers, for example). ID3v2 has the tag TOPE for that (and having CR in the content type tag, says that's it's a cover), but if I want it to work on Amarok, I have to come with a hackish solution. Currently I put 'Cover' in the comments, and I use the Composer tag. It works, but it's not really interoperable, and not exact. If one day I want to play my files in another player, I can just hope that I will find a compatibility. I am also quite sure that some websites would provide an API that could be reused in Amarok, like secondhandsong.com for example. If I play a song which is a cover, the widget would tell me that who the original artist for the song is, and provide me ways to listen to it (in my collection if I have it, on last.fm, or buy it online...). Same goes if I play a song that has been covered.
Third example for ubertagfreaks, are the individual performers in a song, apart from the main artist (tag TPE2), that would allow you to detail the members of a band when the lineup changes a lot like Deep Purple and find only the songs where Ritchie Blackmore plays, or find the album Mingus at Antibes, if you're looking for Eric Dolphy (and in jazz in general, the lineup is often as important as the leading artist).
I don't forget options for classical music (composer, conductor, orchestra, lead performers...), and other options I must forget or have no use for...
In brief, extended support for id3 tags would be great (with a nice search feature, that you would customize to search in the fields you like). I understand it's probably a lot of work with little reward since it does not provide anything directly, the user still has to tag is collection before seeing the benefit of it, but hey... it's a wishlist, not a divine order :)

Keep up the good work, I'll keep on using Amarok anyway, and you don't owe me much, so who would I be to complain?

Cheers.