This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Sharing Amarok music library with Windows

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Floyd
Registered Member
My first posting, so greetings everyone!

I want to do Christmas a present to myself, looking for an external 500Gb usb drive (Comstar). The main reason is that I have a huge collection of music and Amarok handles it all nicely, but sometimes I want to access my music from Windows (for iPod, or just listening) and I was wondering if it would be possible to set the external hard drive in a way that both windows and linux can see it (FAT32 I guess) and then tell Amarok that music collection is on external hard drive. (This maybe a dumb question but) Can it play normally files through usb 2? Same for Windows? Has anyone any experience with this?

Cheers,
Sergey
sturd
Registered Member
I have a 500GB Western Digital, USB 2.0 My Book.  It's split into a number of volumes, with 100GB dedicated as my Music Volume.
This volume along with all the others is FAT32 formatted to give Windows XP and OpenSuse both Read and Write access.  iTunes has been configured to look for my Music on that volume (Location in the Advanced Configuration is set to G:\).  And on OpenSuse, that same volume is set to mount at /music, where Amarok finds it easily.
It's solved my space problems, but if the drive has been idle, there will be a slight latency if suddenly playing a song.  But it's nothing to scream about.
Floyd
Registered Member
sturd wrote:I have a 500GB Western Digital, USB 2.0 My Book.  It's split into a number of volumes, with 100GB dedicated as my Music Volume.
This volume along with all the others is FAT32 formatted to give Windows XP and OpenSuse both Read and Write access.  iTunes has been configured to look for my Music on that volume (Location in the Advanced Configuration is set to G:\).  And on OpenSuse, that same volume is set to mount at /music, where Amarok finds it easily.
It's solved my space problems, but if the drive has been idle, there will be a slight latency if suddenly playing a song.  But it's nothing to scream about.

Whoa... this sound like exactly what I'm looking for! Ok I guess I'm getting the hard drive :-)

Thanks a lot.

Sergey