This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Any feature to make Amarok 2.x look like Amarok1.x?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
sahilahuja
Registered Member
I really miss the sweet and simple playlist of Amarok 1.x

I understand there have been some really major changes under the hood for Amarok 2. And so I completely support the idea of dumping Amarok 1.x for it's development.

But are the developers thinking of a skin/config option to make it look like Amarok 1.x? I think Amarok (1.x) playlist was what made more than half the Amarok 1.x users die-hard Amarok fans (me included ;) )
markey
KDE Developer
OS
There's nothing stopping you from continuing to use Amarok 1.x. It's not going to stop working overnight ;)

Other than that, we are working on making the playlist more configurable in Amarok 2, which was planned all along, but didn't make it into 2.0:

http://amarok.kde.org/blog/archives/858 ... olved.html

But mind you, we are not going to turn Amarok 2 into an Amarok 1 clone. Sometimes it pays off to try to learn something new and and to adjust your old habits a bit, you see. It's a defining feature of intelligence.

Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
sahilahuja
Registered Member
Mark,

Thanks for the quick and reassuring response :)

To add to it, the following post was also useful in this regard : http://amarok.kde.org/blog/archives/810 ... ylist.html
darkscot
Registered Member
OS
sahilahuja wrote: I think Amarok (1.x) playlist was what made more than half the Amarok 1.x users die-hard Amarok fans (me included ;) )

About 3-4 months ago i would have agreed with you 100%!  Now, after living with Amarok2 for a while I can only agree 60%.  I have high hopes for V2 and am looking forward to what is coming over the next few months.

Having said all that, I have 2nd PC (667MHz Celeron) that I use as a media player and I am seriously thinking about going back to 1.4 on that.  I have been trying to get amarok2 to index my music collection for about a week (running on Mandriva 2009.1 cooker) and it is still only 45%. 

"We don't have a monopoly. We have market share. There's a difference." STEVE BALLMER
markey
KDE Developer
OS
darkscot wrote:I have been trying to get amarok2 to index my music collection for about a week (running on Mandriva 2009.1 cooker) and it is still only 45%.

Give 2.0.1 a try once it is released (soon). We have made some bug fixes in the collection scanner that could potentially help you.

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
darkscot
Registered Member
OS
Thanks Mark, but i have gone back to Mandriva 2008 spring and amaroK 1.4 on my ancient HP Pavilion. I think it was just asking too much to expect it to cope with KDE4 and amarok2.

However, I am still sticking with amarok2 on my main PC (listening to it now in fact) and will look forward to future developments. 

"We don't have a monopoly. We have market share. There's a difference." STEVE BALLMER