This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

One hour with Amarok2, back to 1.4

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
zupidupi
Registered Member

One hour with Amarok2, back to 1.4

Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:08 pm
Hi folks,

I also wanted to give Amarok2 a try, so I installed it earlier today. My computer runs basic Ubuntu, Intrepid. It's quite afresh installation, and Amarok 1.4 was installed a few days ago. When I tried the upgrade  I immediately ran into a few problems that caused me to revert to the previous version.

I didn't manage to import my collection. I have a huge collection of mp3's (around 25000), and when I tried to migrate them from the old database I only got those records that I had played (four altogether). Since the mp3's are on a music server the info has to be transferred over a network, which takes a very long time. I didn't want to do this again.

I also wanted support for my iPod Nano (3G), which I didn't find. Some posts here stated that I could do a recompile, fiddling around with various libraries. I lacked the patience and enthusiasm for this.

So, since I didn't see any obvious advantages with the new version, I reverted to the old installation. Sure, the interface was nice-looking, but I can do without the eyecandy.

Of course, the situation might change in a few months, and then I'll be happy to upgrade.

Cheers,

Mike
marcel
Registered Member
OS
Why do you post this? This is not helpful at all and really unfair to all the devs that work(ed) hard to get Amarok 2 up and running.

This forum is clearly not for trolling around, but to ask questions about problems with Amarok that hopefully then can get fixed - to give constructive feedback about the new version.
zupidupi
Registered Member
marcel wrote:Why do you post this? This is not helpful at all and really unfair to all the devs that work(ed) hard to get Amarok 2 up and running.

This forum is clearly not for trolling around, but to ask questions about problems with Amarok that hopefully then can get fixed - to give constructive feedback about the new version.

Well, that's a rather silly opinion. I gave a clearly defined, negative, feedback on the product. I was interested in it, installed it, tried it out, and realized that I preferred the previous version. If a developer doesn't want to hear why, he's clearly not interested in developing the product. And possible users at least know two things that don't work with the product. If I had read a post like this I wouldn't have installed it, and thus saved me a few hours worth of time.

If you don't like negative info, I suggest the following website: http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org. Guaranteed to keep you content.

Cheers,

Mike
dangle_wtf
If you'd done your homework in the first place, rather than blindly trying a new version of a program that's undergoing major re-factoring, you may have saved yourself an hour out of your busy life. Your issues with Amarok are nothing others haven't already commented on, so this is effectively a "me too" thread. How very AOL.

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
zupidupi
Registered Member
dangle_wtf wrote:If you'd done your homework in the first place, rather than blindly trying a new version of a program that's undergoing major re-factoring, you may have saved yourself an hour out of your busy life. Your issues with Amarok are nothing others haven't already commented on, so this is effectively a "me too" thread. How very AOL.

Oh, well, never you all mind. Keep staring at your own bellybuttons. I thought I was being helpful by contributing with my experiences. That was obviously my biggest waste of time.

Cheers,

Mike
sebr
Being an actual Amarok developer, let me answer this. There is no reason not to accept criticism, and it is even a virtue to be able to take it gracefully.

Mike: I'm sorry that you're results using Amarok 2 were lower than your expectations. I hope that we can resolve most of these issues sooner rather than later.  Which version did you try?

As for your issues, I would recommend always using distribution released packages (such as from an ubuntu repository). These come prepackaged with all the plugins you might need (such as ipod support). As for statistics imports, we've made a number of fixes for the 2.0.1, which with some hope will fix your problems. If not, there could be a number of issues at play (such as your network setup), which would be good to know so that we could try fix them. Small tip: make sure your files are mounted identically.

Regards,
Seb
ken fresno
Registered Member
I also tried to research the nano 3G issue, didn't find it, then also wasted an hour or so on upgrading and reverting back.    If nothing is mentioned about hardware support, a reasonable assumption would be that it is still there.   

Note: I used the repository upgrade option.

IMO, there should be a list on the wiki or somewhere within Google reach that lists all of the features that are either *no longer supported* or *not there but planned* from the 1.4.x version.    Like *no more file deletion* or *no nano 3G support* or *no MusicBrainz tag lookup"  or "No Amazon cover art lookup.* 

And as for dangle and marcel, stop being petulant rage boyz. 
nightrose
KDE CWG
OS
Such lists exist. In the Wiki and in the developer blog.
ken fresno
Registered Member
Have you seen them?  Or are you guessing?  Because I just checked the wiki search function and there is nothing but the most general of statements:

"We are sorry, but not every single feature will make it into Amarok 2.0.0. Please remember that Amarok 2 is a nearly complete rewrite. Also we of course want to release something useable to our users as soon as possible. So some features might not yet be in the first Amarok 2 releases.

This does NOT mean that those features will never come back, we just have to set priorities so that we can finally have a release. "Release early, release often", you know. We are also working on a list of features that are not yet implemented, so you can decide easily if an upgrade is the right thing for you to do."

There is no list like this that I can find.    So if you can use the search function better, post the link. 

Please note:  I understand the nature of OSS development.  I'm not dumping on anyone's efforts.  But the "This is the bestest Amarok EVAR" marketing is something you're going to get pushback on when you leave out features that many users are accustomed to without any real notice.    A missing features list should be pretty prominent if I am to believe the FAQ.
nightrose
KDE CWG
OS
ken fresno
Registered Member
How is that not clear? 
1. Because it's links to those pages are missing from the top level.  Given their importance, they should be on the Getting Started page.   
2. Because the search terms I was trying to find (iPod, MusicBrainz)  were not referenced in those pages.     
3. Because the the items I mentioned that don't work are not mentioned, so I would assume they were supported.  Which they aren't. 

So I would amend my issue from "hard to find info" to "Incomplete, unreliable, and hard to find information." 

Not that it's your fault and so no need for you to be snippy about it.  Again, you can feel good about your clever insults or you can put that energy into fixing the wiki.    I just find your internet behavior amusing so go ahead and dance for me some more.

I told you the problem.  You said FU.  I'm outta here now.  Bye kiddies.