This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Reply to Seb Ruiz

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
zupidupi
Registered Member

Reply to Seb Ruiz

Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:26 pm
Hiya folks,

Seb Ruiz wrote:Being an actual Amarok developer, let me answer this. There is no reason not to accept criticism, and it is even a virtue to be able to take it gracefully.

Mike: I'm sorry that you're results using Amarok 2 were lower than your expectations. I hope that we can resolve most of these issues sooner rather than later.  Which version did you try?

As for your issues, I would recommend always using distribution released packages (such as from an ubuntu repository). These come prepackaged with all the plugins you might need (such as ipod support). As for statistics imports, we've made a number of fixes for the 2.0.1, which with some hope will fix your problems. If not, there could be a number of issues at play (such as your network setup), which would be good to know so that we could try fix them. Small tip: make sure your files are mounted identically.

Thx, Seb, for your impartial answer. I installed Amarok2 by adding the following line (as found from the site http://www.kubuntu.org/news/amarok-2.0.1.1) to my rep-file. This was during the weekend, might well have been before version 2.0.1.1 was released.

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-members-kde4/ubuntu intrepid main

The problem with importing was not my statistics. The problem was that out of my 1100+ albums only the one I had played (four altogether) were imported. The rest never showed up in Amarok 2.

My setup is as follows. I have a media server running Ubuntu in command line. On this server there is a folder shared through samba. This folder contains all my music, available to  the computers and mediaplayers in the network. The Amarok-database is stored *locally* on one of the clients, running Ubuntu Intrepid. Building this database took a while, because of the network drive, accessing it is no problem since it's local. It was importing this database that didn't succeed.

I don't exactly understand what you mean by "mounted identically". If you mean that the shared network folder always should be mounted to the same point, it's taken care of at startup: /media/music on my client.

Amarok is still the handiest musicplayer I've found for Ubuntu, especially for loading my fiancees iPod. She likes the clean, easy-to-use interface. The network connection makes the loading quite slow, of course, which is why I prefer to load my own from the server, with the aid of the command line tools gnupod-tool. As I said, I'll be happy to upgrade when the worst wrinkles are ironed out. Good luck with the project!

And as for dangle and marcel, stop being petulant rage boyz. 

I couldn't have put it better myself. Too bad that an attempt to constructive criticism was forced into a flame war and a locked topic.

Cheers,

Mike