This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Futures for amarok + ampache

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
purloiner
Registered Member

Futures for amarok + ampache

Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:24 am
Hi all

I started to play with ampache mainly because of Amarok 2 adding support for it; I have to say having got to understand it better that it is a great application, especially as I travel a lot, remote access to my library is great.

I have it hooked up to Amarok and now with 2.0.1 (Ampache 3.4.4) things are a lot more stable so thanks for that.

My questions are:

1)  How much more integrated can/will the two applications be, for example ratings in Ampache <-> Amarok
2)  At the moment you cannot (or I don't know how to) generate a random playlist from the ampache database without uploading a playlist from ampache to amarok first - this is ok but would we ever see for example dynamic playlists from the ampache database.

These are just my thoughts from using the 2 together, I understand there's tons over other stuff people want.

Anyway congrats on Amarok 2, I think it's a very good start and with 2.0.1 is a lot more stable

-P
nhn
KDE Developer
OS

Re: Futures for amarok + ampache

Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:39 am
There is really no limit to how well an Ampache server could eventually be integrated into Amarok. Synchronized ratings is something we have been thinking about for a while, and using the Ampache collection in dynamic playlists has also been discussed.

The main thing holding us back is simply that everyone are currently busy with other parts of Amarok. I wrote the original Ampache service, but I am too busy to add any new features to it at the moment.

That said, maintaining and improving the Ampache service would be a great project for a new contributor. Some work would also need to happen on the Ampache side, but as we have a really good working relationship with the main developer of Ampache, so this should not be a problem.

- Nikolaj
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:38 pm
Yep, and I also hope that the Ampache creator (Karl Vollmer) will help us a bit in the future. He did express some interest, so here's to hoping ;)

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
purloiner
Registered Member

Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:08 pm
Cheers, sounds good
syntron
Registered Member

Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:55 pm
Freespirit wrote:... using the Ampache collection in dynamic playlists has also been discussed.

I vote for that! Will it be possible in the 2.1 release?