This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

want ABX on Mac -- should I install Amarok?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
allencmcbride
Registered Member
I have a Mac, and I'd like to try ABX (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABX_test).  As far as I can tell, there is no ABX software for Mac.  But I read about the ABX-comparator script for Amarok.  So I'm considering trying to install Amarok in order to use ABX-comparator (not that it wouldn't be cool to have Amarok anyway).  Does the ABX-comparator script work on Amarok 2.x?  (It's labeled somewhere as a 1.x script, and I don't know if these scripts are still compatible with 2.x in general.)  And is there any reason the ABX script wouldn't work on Mac?  And if the answers are "yes" and "no", respectively, is there much advantage to installing Amarok via Macports vs the unofficial binaries?  It sounds like maybe the wiki page describing Amarok-via-macports may have been written before the binaries were available.  Thanks for any advice!  --Allen
dangle_wtf
To start with, 1.4 scripts don't work with Amarok2, the scripting engine was completely re-written rendering existing scripts incompatible, sorry!

I've installed Amarok2 on OSX using both macports and the binaries, and I'd have to say the convenience of the binaries far outweighs the flexibility of macports - very easy to miss something when you have to make sure everything is the right version! The "unofficial" binaries are still created/maintained by an Amarok dev - the only reason they're flagged as such is that they're not supported officially by the team, as they're very much a work-in-progress. That said, I've found the packages quite reliable. Not sure whether there's a 2.0.1.1 package yet though!

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
allencmcbride
Registered Member
Thanks!  Exactly what I needed to know.  I'll continue my ABX search, and maybe I'll give the Amarok2 binaries a try as well.  --Allen
HalNineThousand
Registered Member
dangle_wtf wrote:To start with, 1.4 scripts don't work with Amarok2, the scripting engine was completely re-written rendering existing scripts incompatible, sorry!

I've installed Amarok2 on OSX using both macports and the binaries, and I'd have to say the convenience of the binaries far outweighs the flexibility of macports - very easy to miss something when you have to make sure everything is the right version! The "unofficial" binaries are still created/maintained by an Amarok dev - the only reason they're flagged as such is that they're not supported officially by the team, as they're very much a work-in-progress. That said, I've found the packages quite reliable. Not sure whether there's a 2.0.1.1 package yet though!

So if I've been on Linux w/ KDE for years and just bought an iMac and want to use Amarok on it because iTunes doesn't handle flac (and I hear with Fluke, it still doesn't quite work because it doesn't read tags), then what should I do to put Amarok on my iMac?

I downloaded binaries, but it won't create a collection for me (which I'm told is a current bug).

And how do I know if I should be using Fink or Macports?