This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Finding radio stations

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
gladney
Registered Member

Finding radio stations

Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:23 pm
After upgrading Ubuntu and reinstalling Amarok, I found it impossible to find a radio station I like.  This might be because the available playlist selection list is too long, so that I might have passed over it, even if it is still there.
(The station I was looking for was Seattle's KING-FM at 98.1 Mhz)

It seems to me that there are two usability problems, one for Amarok and one for Shoutcast.

(1) It would be very helpful to have a search function for the available radio playlists, in addition to the currently available browsing.  The available list has simply become too long for browsing to be practical.

(2) The classification by Shoutcast is badly flawed (under its "Classical" sublist).  This list mixes rock stations with classical and opera stations.  A real pain. 

I am aware that this might be a Shoutcast problem rather than an Amarok problem, but could not find a suitable Shoutcast comments input address.  Please forward the complaint as appropriate.

HMG
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Re: Finding radio stations

Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:22 am
It's indeed a Shoutcast Directory problem, not Amarok's. In fact we're already doing our part to improve on the situation:

We have a "blacklist" in the program that filters out countless obscure "WTFBBQ" categories, and many duplicates.

As for forwarding the request to them, that's not something we intend to do - we're very busy already. We'd appreciate our users helping here a bit :)

PS: A search filter is indeed already available. I'm not sure when it was added, but I see it here in my 2.1 development version.

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer