This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Feature Request: Collection recognition of Removable storage media

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Yohumbus
Registered Member
OS
Im not sure if this is in the proposals or not. But I think that the collection management should be able to recognize if folders belong to a removable device, much like the (really good) iPod support. On my laptop I don't have space for an extensive collection so I have an external drive. If I index it then my collection is polluted when the device is unplugged and if I dont index it then the music is tough to access. Is this something that can be implemented through Solid?
maxwax
Registered Member
I'd like to see this, too.  I'm one of the many users whose large music collection is stored on an external drive attached to a laptop.  If I fire up Amarok without the drive present, Amarok rescans the directories, finds them missing and starts removing tracks from the collection.  This means in order to make things right I've got to wait until the drive is reconnected and rescan the drive from start to finish.

It'd be nice to scan the external data once, set it to not automatically rescan and be able to toggle on|off the inclusion of that data within the collection database at well.
markey
KDE Developer
OS
We call this feature "Dynamic Collection". It was present in 1.x, and is scheduled to become reintroduced with Amarok 2.1.

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
otakuj462
Registered Member
Hi,

This is precisely the feature I was looking for as well. Fortunately, I'm using Kubuntu 8.04 and am therefore still using Amarok 1.4.9.1 on KDE 3.5.10, so I have a chance to try it out. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find much documentation on how to use it. There's the wiki page, which describes what it is:

http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/Dynamic_Collection

But I can't find anything that describes how to interact with it. Is it simply the case that when I scan my removable hard drive, Amarok will know that it is a removable hard drive (via the KMediaManager, I think it's called), and thus should automatically work without any explicit interaction from the user?

I'd appreciate any guidance you can offer. Thanks,

Jake
markey
KDE Developer
OS
otakuj462 wrote:But I can't find anything that describes how to interact with it. Is it simply the case that when I scan my removable hard drive, Amarok will know that it is a removable hard drive (via the KMediaManager, I think it's called), and thus should automatically work without any explicit interaction from the user?

Yes, it works transparently and automatically. You don't have to do anything specific to enable it.

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
otakuj462
Registered Member
Thanks for the quick response! That's great, I'm excited to try it,

Jake