This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

CDs inserted show up everywhere but on Amarok

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
markey
KDE Developer
OS
People, calm down. No need for getting agitated.

Automatic CD ripping is on our TODO. We're definitely planning to add this feature, so it's just a matter of time :)

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
dangle_wtf
[me=dangle_wtf]stirs...[/me]

FEATURE BLOAT!! ;)

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
alvareo
Registered Member
Mark Kretschmann wrote:People, calm down. No need for getting agitated.

Automatic CD ripping is on our TODO. We're definitely planning to add this feature, so it's just a matter of time :)

Wow, PLEASE, I need that!
One of the reasons I'm using more Windows than Ubuntu is because it's virtually IMPOSSIBLE to easily rip AACs, which by the way, need to be compatible with iPods for me.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Alvareo, I don't know if you are aware that AAC is a proprietary format by Apple? Expecting AAC ripping to work flawlessly on Linux is a bit much, maybe address Apple and ask them to get more Linux friendly? And maybe get rid of DRM (they promised to do so quite some time ago) and AAC encrypting too while you are at it. The more user complain at the right place (Apple and other proprietary manufacturers, not us), the more likely it will get solved one day.
Just my 2 ct...

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
Kohlrabi
Registered Member
OS
alvareo wrote:One of the reasons I'm using more Windows than Ubuntu is because it's virtually IMPOSSIBLE to easily rip AACs, which by the way, need to be compatible with iPods for me.

Rubyripper/cdparanoia should allow you to rip the CD and also convert it to MP3 using LAME. Also, there are probably a plethora of other ripping programs in Ubuntu. If you want AACs your best bet so far would be to use wine and the Nero AAC Encoder (http://www.nero.com/eng/downloads-nerod ... -codec.php), which is free to use for non-commercial users, since the free alternative FAAC isn't on par yet with iTunes/Nero.

On a sidenote, I'm quite interested as to how this "automated ripping" will work, can someone elaborate on that?
alvareo
Registered Member
Mamarok wrote:Alvareo, I don't know if you are aware that AAC is a proprietary format by Apple? Expecting AAC ripping to work flawlessly on Linux is a bit much, maybe address Apple and ask them to get more Linux friendly? And maybe get rid of DRM (they promised to do so quite some time ago) and AAC encrypting too while you are at it. The more user complain at the right place (Apple and other proprietary manufacturers, not us), the more likely it will get solved one day.
Just my 2 ct...

Well, AAC doesn't seem to belong to Apple. Wikipedia [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Audio_Coding] doesn't say, so,  neither does a QuickTime page on Apple's site [http://www.apple.com/quicktime/technologies/aac/]
And why would we need them to get rid of DRM? Besides, the Songbird player plays AACs natively on Linux, and, if a plugin is installed on it, it even reads the DRM-protected AACs (.m4p extension)
alvareo
Registered Member
Kohlrabi wrote:
alvareo wrote:One of the reasons I'm using more Windows than Ubuntu is because it's virtually IMPOSSIBLE to easily rip AACs, which by the way, need to be compatible with iPods for me.

Rubyripper/cdparanoia should allow you to rip the CD and also convert it to MP3 using LAME. Also, there are probably a plethora of other ripping programs in Ubuntu. If you want AACs your best bet so far would be to use wine and the Nero AAC Encoder (http://www.nero.com/eng/downloads-nerod ... -codec.php), which is free to use for non-commercial users, since the free alternative FAAC isn't on par yet with iTunes/Nero.

On a sidenote, I'm quite interested as to how this "automated ripping" will work, can someone elaborate on that?

As I said, no .mp3s please.
And you recommend me to use Wine and the Nero encoder. I have the Nero encoder, but Wine? Do you mean the Windows emulator? Does that mean you are recommending me to use PC program?
dangle_wtf
I think the information you are searching for is beyond the scope of this forum. We've moved beyond the realm of Amarok now. Please utilise the vast resources of the internet to do some research on AAC encoding under linux.

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
alvareo
Registered Member
dangle_wtf wrote:I think the information you are searching for is beyond the scope of this forum. We've moved beyond the realm of Amarok now. Please utilise the vast resources of the internet to do some research on AAC encoding under linux.

1. I'm sorry, but I didn't ask for it.

2. I've already used "the vast resources of the internet" and didn't get anything useful.