This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

CDs inserted show up everywhere but on Amarok

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
alvareo
Registered Member
Hi,

I'm new to Linux, so please, easy with me. :)

I insterted a CD into my computer's drive. It showed up on Rhythmbox, Nautilus, Sound Juicer... But not on Amarok.

I'm on Ubuntu Ibex. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Which version of Amarok are you using? Playing from CD should work in the 1.4.x series, but is not implemented in the 2.0 series yet.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
alvareo
Registered Member
dangle_wtf
You can tell for sure by going to Help -> About Amarok

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
alvareo
Registered Member
I checked, I have 1.4.x. Can't recall the last number.
markey
KDE Developer
OS
alvareo wrote:I'm new to Linux, so please, easy with me. :)

I insterted a CD into my computer's drive. It showed up on Rhythmbox, Nautilus, Sound Juicer... But not on Amarok.

I'm on Ubuntu Ibex. Any suggestions?

With Amarok 1.x, go to the main menu, then "Engage" -> "Play Audio CD". (as far as I can remember...)

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
alvareo
Registered Member
Problem solved. Thank you.

Although I still can't do what I wanted to do: import CDs. But well, that isn't a bug, it's just a missing feature. Cheers!
dangle_wtf
If you're using KDE, you can browse to audiocd:/ in the files browser, then drag the tracks to your collection, if memory serves me correctly. If you're not using KDE I have no idea if this works.

If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
alvareo
Registered Member
dangle_wtf wrote:If you're using KDE, you can browse to audiocd:/ in the files browser, then drag the tracks to your collection, if memory serves me correctly. If you're not using KDE I have no idea if this works.

I'm using Gnome. And I don't want .wavs :)
dangle_wtf
You don't get .wav files using the audiocd:/ handler - you get whatever compression method you browse to. Yet another good reason to use kde ;)

alvareo
Registered Member
dangle_wtf wrote:You don't get .wav files using the audiocd:/ handler - you get whatever compression method you browse to. Yet another good reason to use kde ;)

Sorry, but Ubuntu also includes ripping software.

I won't use KDE. Ever.
dangle_wtf
Then you don't need support for CDs in Amarok, do you?!

alvareo
Registered Member
dangle_wtf wrote:Then you don't need support for CDs in Amarok, do you?!

Well, it's MUCH more user-friendly to have the import thing integrated into the player, don't you think so? ANY player which has a library can import CDs nowadays.
dangle_wtf
That would involve unnecessary duplication of effort. Using features that already exist and integrate beautifully with Amarok is much more efficient!
You may be able to, as far as I know (in KDE 3.x, not having used KDE4 yet), install kioslaves to get the functionality.

alvareo
Registered Member
Do you REALLY think having an app for listening to music and another app for importing it is more efficient than having the two integrated into one?

In my opinion, it's MUCH more user-friendly and easy. Again, that's why you can import CDs with WMP, iTunes, Winamp, etc. You have the player with library, and the importer all-in-one. It's really absurd to have them separate when it  isn't an odyssey to develop the CD importer. A player with library and without CD importer is like a Web browser without download support, for us who still buy CDs.

And btw, I see I'm going to have to repeat it: I don't use KDE.

Last edited by alvareo on Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.