This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Mac OS X and Amarok

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
wil0
Registered Member

Mac OS X and Amarok

Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:07 pm
Im only posting here because amarok used to by an awesome music player. 1.4 had all the features and functions that nothing else had. it deffinetly handled large librarys better than any other player, and gave you much more information and control over your music.
So anyway, after battling to get 1.4 to work on os x i got 2.0 to install easily enough. however, its unstable, and doesent handle media on external drives, and has a gui that is useless...I dont care who designed it, and the reasons behind it, because for ages i thought, nah it will grow on me, which it hasnt.
The gui is now rubbish, and gives you no real info about the track, no last.fm data is showed. Generally im fed up of it.

Ive found that the banshee music player, in the 25 minutes ive had it installed is way better. Its already imported 87% of my 110gb music collection and downloaded 80% of the artwork. something that took 5 hours yesterday. I can play tracks while i import, and the GUI is well, awesome. The gui on par with 1.4s, and displays loads of stuff that i expected from 2.0.
Banshee claim that this is a beta, well it isnt by amaroks standards, because it actually works!

We waited what, a year for 2.0?
All i can see is the shell of a buggy music player.
im done.
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Re: Mac OS X and Amarok

Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:32 pm

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
dangle_wtf

Re: Mac OS X and Amarok

Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:18 am
The main problem is, that unless you're compiling Amarok 2 yourself from SVN sources, you're using a package that's at version 2.0.0 (if you're using the official package) - if you're patient you'll get an updated version when a couple of packaging issues are resolved. If you're not, then use whatever floats your boat!
Amarok 2.0.0 on OS X has been working pretty sweetly (with some minor issues that I know have been resolved already) for me here.

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"