This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Play errors notification

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Valentin Pavlyuchenko
Registered Member

Play errors notification

Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:31 pm
Hi all,

As far as I see, Amarok now doesn't have a notification about play failures.
For example (using Amarok2-SVN94144+my patch):
1. I take a file from my collection to the end of playlist.
2. I delete this file (by the way, I've posted a patch to fix file deletion in Amarok - https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=187592)
3. I doubleclick on the playlist to play this file. No notification appears. Just nothing happens.

Lets discuss - how it should be?
1. System notification.
2. Show error somewhere in amarok window.
3. ....

P.S. If you start playing from the song BEFORE the non-existing item in the playlist, you'll have a segfault.
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Re: Play errors notification

Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:03 am
What it is _meant_ to do (if not buggy) is skip broken tracks silently, until it reaches a certain hardcoded limit (I think 20 or so, consecutively).

After this amount of broken tracks it will show an error.

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
Valentin Pavlyuchenko
Registered Member

Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:44 am
Mark Kretschmann wrote:What it is _meant_ to do (if not buggy) is skip broken tracks silently, until it reaches a certain hardcoded limit (I think 20 or so, consecutively).

After this amount of broken tracks it will show an error.

Skip a track is good, I agree. But maybe show a standard KDE notification about skipping?
Amarok 1.4 snows "file doesn't exists" on its status bar.

Anyway it's not good, that user doesn't know why the file wasn't played.
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:30 pm
Valentin.Pavlyuchenko wrote:Skip a track is good, I agree. But maybe show a standard KDE notification about skipping?

A KDE notification might be overkill (I sometimes find them pretty annoying), but a notification in the statusbar of Amarok sounds like a good idea :)

So we should probably implement this. Now the problem is that we are really busy with finishing 2.1 (it's in feature freeze), and that we easily forget such things. You could create a "Wish" report on bugs.kde.org (to be honest though we have so many of them that we sometimes forget them too).

Another option: If you are able to program C++, you could provide a patch for us :)

Or, remind us again sometime after 2.1 is released

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
Valentin Pavlyuchenko
Registered Member

Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:34 pm
Mark Kretschmann wrote:
Valentin.Pavlyuchenko wrote:Skip a track is good, I agree. But maybe show a standard KDE notification about skipping?

A KDE notification might be overkill (I sometimes find them pretty annoying), but a notification in the statusbar of Amarok sounds like a good idea :)

So we should probably implement this. Now the problem is that we are really busy with finishing 2.1 (it's in feature freeze), and that we easily forget such things. You could create a "Wish" report on bugs.kde.org (to be honest though we have so many of them that we sometimes forget them too).

Another option: If you are able to program C++, you could provide a patch for us :)

Or, remind us again sometime after 2.1 is released

Thank you for your answer!
I'm able to program on C++, but I have a little experience in Qt. I'll try to make it.

P.S. If amarok is frozen, then can you commit a bugfix, that I've made?
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=187592