This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Amarok 2, last.fm, scrobbling doesn't work any more

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
bony
Registered Member
Hi,

problem: scrobbling doesn't work any more.

Amarok 2.0.1
KDE 4.1.3

Result of "Test"-Button in last.fm-menu --> success
Doesn't work with firewall switched off.
Used to work fine one or two weeks ago.

Works with Amarok 1.4 (but last.fm-radio not supported in 1.4 anymore :()

?

Christoph
bony
Registered Member
I detected a strange behaviour of my system. When ein first play a song in Rhythmbox for a few seconds, quit Rhythmbox and start Amarok, scrobbling is just working fine.

Any ideas, what might cause that problem?
iamlouis
Registered Member
This also happens for me. I'm currently running Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty (Beta) and the latest amarok in the repos (2.02). Testing the account in amarok works, but it doesn't scrobble anything i play.

This also happened to me when I used the nightly versions of amarok 2 on Intrepid, which is primarily why I stopped using amarok and went over to banshee, before eventually going back to 1.4.xxx, where at least scrobbling worked. Does amarok 2 cache scrobbles if they don't submit like 1.4 did? I also don't seem to get any indication of whether or not a song has scrobbled, like you did with 1.4.

I haven't tried the rythmbox thing so i don't know if that works for me or not
seeker5528
Registered Member
Just a shot in the dark.

If you go to your Last FM profile, scroll to the bottom of the 'about me' section and click 'edit'.
Click on applications.
Amarok should show there with some button to allow, give permission or something along these lines. If you have already given permission to allow the application access to your account the button will show as 'Remove Application'.

Does that make a difference?

Later, Seeker
iamlouis
Registered Member
seeker5528 wrote:Just a shot in the dark.

If you go to your Last FM profile, scroll to the bottom of the 'about me' section and click 'edit'.
Click on applications.
Amarok should show there with some button to allow, give permission or something along these lines. If you have already given permission to allow the application access to your account the button will show as 'Remove Application'.

Does that make a difference?

Later, Seeker

Thanks for the idea, but it's already been given permission. The annoying thing is that it does occasionally scrobble, which to me suggests the problem might be a bit more complicated. I had to switch to install phonon-backend-xine to get it to play at all - could that be doing something? Clutching at straws a bit here.

Thanks for any help,

Louis
FatGerman
Registered Member
I'm having this problem too - but actually I can't even work out how to get Amarok listed as as an application in my last.fm profile. It isn't already there, but I cannot find an option to add it either in Amarok or on Last.fm. The 'Test Login' button just goes grey and never does anything else.

Using 2.0.2 on Kubuntu Jaunty.
darkscot
Registered Member
OS
I have just noticed i have the same problem on Mandriva 2009.1 RC1 running KDE4.2.2.  It used to scrobble OK and my other PC (KDE4.1 and Amarok 1.4) scrobbles fine.

This bug seems to relate to it:

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=188678

"We don't have a monopoly. We have market share. There's a difference." STEVE BALLMER
seeker5528
Registered Member
If the application is doing things properly it should just show up on Last FM after you have used/tried to use it. 

Not all that sure that you have to give permission for Amarok, just happened to notice it was there one day.

For an example of a different application the Fire.fm firefox plugin takes you to the application tab in your profile settings automatically when you try to use it.

A link to this bug information was posted in another thread

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=188678#c18

A patch against 2.0.2 was also posted in one of the later responses to the bug report.

If downloading/patching/compiling is beyond you, you'll have to wait for a fixed version to be released through whatever official/unofficial channels you got the package you are using.

Later, Seeker
Domker_
Registered Member
So, fix for Amarok 2.0.2 actually exist but (K)ubuntu developers work too slowly (or they are focused on the next version of Kubuntu)

There is fixed package Amarok 2.0.2 for Kubuntu Jaunty (9.04):

https://launchpad.net/~fabulous/+archive/ppa

Just add (KPackageKit>Settings>Edit Software Sources>Third-Party Software):
Code: Select all

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/fabulous/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/fabulous/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main

.. and save to text file this public key (switch to Authentication>Import Key File):

-----BEGIN PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
Version: SKS 1.0.10  mI0ESYvcBwEEAKE0jkptwdLZHEVyplcA/y3rRRU3hL6hAjordw8r3fcd8lx7pebiGYsyC4nk 7wRIFfdDLbqh6qMPSNfy11wGDp8MFXKCr/UaglyGLzuQXV9NMrQ+pehIFxHDrrLAnvmJictC xL7HJYARRvA7mpfXIlzo6Iz5I5mFBWJx/XHxjfVtABEBAAG0HExhdW5jaHBhZCBQUEEgZm9y IEphbWVzIFB1cmyItgQTAQIAIAUCSYvcBwIbAwYLCQgHAwIEFQIIAwQWAgMBAh4BAheAAAoJ EN9KMUrX4y+ePioD/1e6F90iOpirFTrv/2FuEHtLTd+x5z/XsRnHHnY51rpcmdXDyuwhHr+0 F7+zo8bbAzSsVJvZPSZ9esC7iv+soy45xOpeSvLZumothaQ4cbOY+oDiG1wg8E704ZAowMMV V/gKPeiSieQFHCLA0oTPgCHM9HrHgJlf5URxZqmWyJL/ =6r6J
-----END PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----

Type that in terminal:

sudo apt-get update

And install Amarok updates.

Works fine for me! (scrobbling works properly) [ Karma (+) ? ^^]

Last edited by Domker_ on Mon May 18, 2009 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thobbs
Registered Member
Thanks Domker, the fix worked with Ubuntu 9.04.  I had a little trouble getting the key to import correctly, after I saved it as "key.asc" and converted every space after "1.0.10" to a newline, it worked.  It should look like the following:

-----BEGIN PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
Version: SKS 1.0.10

mI0ESYvcBwEEAKE0jkptwdLZHEVyplcA/y3rRRU3hL6hAjordw8r3fcd8lx7pebiGYsyC4nk
7wRIFfdDLbqh6qMPSNfy11wGDp8MFXKCr/UaglyGLzuQXV9NMrQ+pehIFxHDrrLAnvmJictC
xL7HJYARRvA7mpfXIlzo6Iz5I5mFBWJx/XHxjfVtABEBAAG0HExhdW5jaHBhZCBQUEEgZm9y
IEphbWVzIFB1cmyItgQTAQIAIAUCSYvcBwIbAwYLCQgHAwIEFQIIAwQWAgMBAh4BAheAAAoJ
EN9KMUrX4y+ePioD/1e6F90iOpirFTrv/2FuEHtLTd+x5z/XsRnHHnY51rpcmdXDyuwhHr+0
F7+zo8bbAzSsVJvZPSZ9esC7iv+soy45xOpeSvLZumothaQ4cbOY+oDiG1wg8E704ZAowMMV
V/gKPeiSieQFHCLA0oTPgCHM9HrHgJlf5URxZqmWyJL/
=6r6J
-----END PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
Cherodactyl
Registered Member
can someone please explain this a little more? I'm not fully understanding what exactly I'm supposed to be doing here.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Cherodactyl wrote:can someone please explain this a little more? I'm not fully understanding what exactly I'm supposed to be doing here.

That depends on your version. Current Amarok 2.1 works fine

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...