This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Feature Requests: Sorting, Drag and Drop, Tagging and Colours

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Fuchs
Registered Member
Dear all

So yesterday I tried out amarok 2 from svn, after being not satisfied with 2.0.* compared to 1.4.
In fact the direction it is going to seems good, at least I loved the editable playlist layout as it allowed me to get a more or less classic (amarok 1.4) layout.

However, there are some things I still miss:

- Sorting: I didn't find a possibility to quick sort the playlist (sort by album, sort by track, sort by  artist).  Would be nice to have this possibility as a quick button or something.

- Search: Either the syntax changed or AND and OR are gone. I miss those :(

- Drag and Drop:  it seems that it is not possible anymore to drag from amarok to a file manager (such as dolphin) to move or copy files.  I use this a lot with USB mass storage to share music.  The other way (filemanager to amarok) it works

- Mass tagging: In amarok 1.4 it is easy to tag multiple files, either directly in the playlist via context menu or via the edit track detail dialog (which has a next/previous track button)
EDIT: Okay, the prev/next button is still there, but only when selecting multiple files. Should imo be there always, from an usability point of view.

- Colours:  The OSD already has a "custom color" setting, but only for the text. Would it be possible to add one for the background as well?  EDIT:  Line 300 in the code says
p.setPen( Qt::white ); // Revert this when the background can be colorized again.
which sounds good, I guess. I guess (I don't work with Qt) replacing white with a variable and adding an option to the configure dialog is not a big effort.

- UI: In my opinion the middle part (current track, lyrics, albums) should remember it's size and switch back to it when the left bar (collection, files ...) is disabled. Example: With the classic style playlist I usualy have no left bar. However, whenever I save a playlist or when I want to add files from the collection, it pops up. This moves the middle bar (current track) to the right and resizes the playlist. When I close the collection/playlists, the middle bar keeps it's size.  Not nice. 
EDIT: okay, it only does that when the size of the middle part is rather small.

- Fade:  Having the possibility to activate the fade out effect on manual track change would be nice to have again.

Then some minor glichtes which are probably fixed for the next release, as an example the layout in the "current track" view is broken (text overlaps) when there is text missing (no album title set or similar)

Could you please tell me whether the above mentioned features are planned?

Kind regards

Fuchs

PS: and why was the tray icon behavior changed? In my opinion it is logical that the transparency goes from up to down.

Last edited by Fuchs on Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.