This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Recommend an MP3 player that works well with Amarok

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Emolient
Registered Member
Hi folks,

Hopefully this isn't too off-topic. I'm a newb here, so please let me know if I'm in the wrong place.

My current MP3 player (Creative Zen microphoto) is dying after a few years' faithful service, and it's time to replace it. After some frustration with the Zen, one of the big criteria I'm looking for in a new MP3 player is that it interacts nicely with Amarok. I currently use Amarok 1.4.10, running on Kubuntu 8.10.

So can I get some recommendations for mp3 players that work well with Amarok? The features I'm after are:
Easily synchronise (delete old & add new) podcasts grabbed by Amarok.
Easy transfer music between MP3 and Amarok collection (some automatic synchronisation?)
Capacity at least 4GB, ideally more like 8
Playlist support
Find/play by tag - genre, artist, etc.
Elegant, non-clunky interface.

...I don't care about video, games, album art, or anything much except playing music.

So, my questions:
What MP3 player do you have experience with that works well with Amarok?
My impression is that any player running Rockbox would cover most of these. If you use Rockbox, can you confirm this?
If so, can I assume that any player running Rockbox will integrate well with Amarok?
I haven't really looked at the MP3 player market for ages: have I missed an obvious question? :D
markey
KDE Developer
OS
We usually recommend the Cowon iAudio series, as it is pretty open and works well with Amarok.

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
AnneTanne
Registered Member
OS
Nice to read this, since I was considering a Cowon iAudio D2 to replace the cheap MP3-player I use now (Difrnce, battery lasts not longer than an hour, so pretty useless device).

But... I also find this topic, that described exactly the problem I have with my current player... but this person has the problem with the Cowon iAudio D2.
(I understand German, but I write better in English, therefore I didn't post in that topic...)

Some suggestions?
marcel
Registered Member
OS
AnneTanne wrote:But... I also find this topic, that described exactly the problem I have with my current player... but this person has the problem with the Cowon iAudio D2.
(I understand German, but I write better in English, therefore I didn't post in that topic...)

The audio device integration is still worked on (I guess). I see the same thing for my Sansa e200 device: it just takes a long time (more than a minute?) until the tracks on the device are displayed.
AnneTanne
Registered Member
OS
Indeed...
I tried, and if I have some patience, I do get my music listed.

Thank you!
markey
KDE Developer
OS
This is here is the player that I currently recommend (I have it myself, works nicely):

http://amarok.kde.org/blog/archives/112 ... Chops.html

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer