This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Re: [Feature Request] support for library providing client access to Pandora's Box

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
FishB8
Registered Member
aka. "Piano Bar"

CLI version works like a charm without all the crazy overhead of flash and having to keep open a browser.

http://uint16.ath.cx/software/pandora_client.en.html
sebr
Pandora is only available in the United States which makes it very unlikely we'll support it.
Hydrogen
Registered Member
And by that, Seb means it's an awesome place where amaroks scriptable collections can come into play :)

You (or someone) can write a script that interfaces with pandora, and host it on kde-apps.org where others can install it that want to.  It's probably not going to live in Amarok's source though, for the reason Seb mentioned.
FishB8
Registered Member
Seb Ruiz wrote:Pandora is only available in the United States which makes it very unlikely we'll support it.

Is that limitation implemented on the server side or in the client? I know some of the little rules and limitations are programmed into the flash client, and don't apply when using PianoBar. For instace you can only skip a limited number of songs within a certain amount of time on the flash client. but I haven't had that limitation when using pianobar.

Furthermore, if it is on the server side, I'll bet it's only when creating the playlists. (Playlists are created in four song chunks) I don't think it checks where you are comming from when actually accessing the URL for the media source. I hacked the code to print out the URL of each song it plays to the console, and can load those directly into any media player for playback. So if you do have to create a proxy for connections outside the US, I doubt you would have to forward the actual music through it, just the login / playlist stuff. (i.e. very low overhead)

Can somebody outside the US test this? Try building PianoBar and then see if you can obtain a connection to an account you set up earlier via proxy.
FishB8
Registered Member
I looked at the page I linked to and actually read everything. Says it has built in proxy support for non-american users.