This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[Feature Request] iTunes-style library organization

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
sondosia
Registered Member
Sorry if this has been suggested before, but it'd be great if Amarok could automatically sort my music into folders based on artist and album names, like iTunes does. Currently, if I move or rename the file, it obviously has to be manually replaced in all my playlists, and it appears as a "recently added" track again, which is annoying. iTunes is absolutely great for this because it does it automatically and I get an organized library. :-)

How about it?
naringas
Registered Member
How about you use itunes to do that, and then copy all the music back to linux, all organized.
sondosia
Registered Member
Yes, and lose all my playlists and tags.

And as for copying several gigabytes of music between two computers, twice, and importing all of it into two music players twice, why don't you try that and let me know how that works out for you.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Sondosia: behave!
He is not supposed to know the size of your collection, so keep it polite.
Also, why not file a wish for that in http://bugs.kde.org? I wouldn't be astonished if there already is one.

But, automatically moving files around is most likely a feature most users don't want to have I guess, so this would have to be optional. You can sort quite well without moving things around in Amarok 2.1.beta1, so why not using that database feature?

[me=Mamarok]thinks there must be almost as many sorting wishes as there are users....[/me]

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...