This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Amarok 2 keeps losing/changing tag data

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Matt Savage
Registered Member
I've just been upgraded to 2.0 with the recent Jaunty release and now I'm having real problems with ID tags.

Before I'd had no problems with 1.4 reading MP3 tags added by MusicBrainz or even stuff i'd ripped using windows media player. Now, however, 2.0 seems to, at a whim, either wipe all the tags from random songs or reassign an track to a different artist or album.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Matt
supercow
Registered Member
Hello,

I have the same problem (v.2.0.2). When rescanning my collection tag gets randomly screwed. some Kubuntu users do have the same problem with Jaunty (http://forum.ubuntu-fr.org/viewtopic.php?id=286064&p=3 - french forum). But it does not seem to be Kubuntu specific...so Amarok seems to have a real problem.

regards
plasmid
Registered Member
I am noticing behavior similar in 2.0.96.

My collection in 1.4 was complete and all songs were nice and tagged. Upgraded to 2.0.96 and imported my old collection...some tracks though seemed to be missing there tags yet if I looked in easytag, they were still tagged correctly. Kid3 also looked fine.

I wipped my install and started over, this time not bothering to import the old DB and thus losing my old cover art and ratings :(

After using, I notices there were some tracks within albums that amarok did not seem to think were tagged. I re-scanned my files and some of those were incoperated correctly, but others were not.

I can't figure out a pattern, nor am I certain if some of the files were never scanned, or if they were scanned and later there information was lost.

My system is gentoo, MySQL 5.0.70, KDE 4.2, QT 4.5
Dr.Diesel
Registered Member
This is a serious problem if true, I'd probably cry if my collection of 150k songs got corrupted!
Dieter Schroeder
Registered Member
OS
Amarok doesn't rewrite any tags without your permission!
It will have a screwed up collection, but it won't screw up your tags.
Amarok/taglib uses id3v2.4 (non-standard standard, I must say), so probably it has trouble reading in some tags.

@plasmid
Check the file collection_scan.files for missing tracks.
Try using id3v2.4 in easyTag and see if it helps.
Generally avoid special chars in pathes and filenames (In the tags, it doesn't matter).
Sometimes you get a lot of garbage in the headers from tagging with different apps/os.
I'm using easyTag (or mp3tag when on Windoze) and avoid the tagging from within amarok.

Greetings
m0nk

If men could get pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament.
lfranchi
KDE Developer
note that id3v2.4 *is* a standard and has been approved for like 8 years now :)

in any case, taglib reads id3v1, id3v2.3, and id3v2.4 tags. it prefers the newest version of the tags that it finds---so if there are 2.4 tags, it will use those, if not  it'll use v2.3 and v1. i have plenty of tracks that have just id3v1 tags, and they show up fine in amarok.

Amarok developer.

lfranchi, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
Dieter Schroeder
Registered Member
OS
You've misunderstood me.
It's right, that id3v2.4 is an official standard since 2000, but still not widely spreaded, because there are a lot of players out there having problems reading the tags. And the new features aren't supported, too.
I also didn't say, that Amarok 2 was unable to read earlier versions, but it writes v2.4 and it/taglib skips some of the older frames.

Best about standards is, that there are so much to choose from ;-)
(Forgot from whom this cite is.)

Greetings
m0nk

If men could get pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament.