This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Cover Preview Size

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
rogerduncan100
Registered Member

Cover Preview Size

Fri May 01, 2009 1:25 am
I have been an Amarok user for a couple of years now, because it's the best music player by far! Right now I am sticking with Amarok 1 on KDE 4.1 though I have tried out Amarok 2 on KDE 4.2, the reason being that I want something larger than a postage-stamp sized cover preview! Heck, I-tunes gives a huge preview! I really like the 300 pixel preview and I don't want to give it up.

Are there plans for a bigger cover preview for Amarok 2? (Is there an Amarok file I can edit to give me that bigger preview, NOW?)   
rogerduncan100
Registered Member

Re: Cover Preview Size

Fri May 01, 2009 1:31 am
Other than that, Amarok 2 looks great! It works better than Amarok 1 for covers, lyrics and Wikipedia info which are the features I use.
stoked
Registered Member

Fri May 01, 2009 5:52 pm
Same here. All my covers have a 300x300 pix size and that's how I got them in the Amarok 1 series.

Now they look crumbled and the artwork fun is completely missing.

Also, will we ever get a cool way to browse our collection by covers? Whatever happened to coverbling....  *sigh*  :(

stoked, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
rogerduncan100
Registered Member

Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:28 am
Thank you for all the great work on Amarok 2.2! I just upgraded to 2.2.2 and I'm using KDE 4.3.2 Kubuntu 9.10. Lyrics and automatic scrolling are much improved as is cover fetching (I use lots of custom covers).

I love you guys but I am still waiting for the return of the 300by300 pixel cover preview, please. Sniff!
marcel
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:25 am
Have you entered this as a wish at bugs.kde.org?
stuffcorpse
KDE Developer
OS

Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:37 am
rogerduncan100 wrote:Thank you for all the great work on Amarok 2.2! I just upgraded to 2.2.2 and I'm using KDE 4.3.2 Kubuntu 9.10. Lyrics and automatic scrolling are much improved as is cover fetching (I use lots of custom covers).

I love you guys but I am still waiting for the return of the 300by300 pixel cover preview, please. Sniff!

What do you mean by cover preview? Are you referring to the current track applet, the playlist, cover manager or something else?
rogerduncan100
Registered Member

Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:18 pm
I am talking about the current track applet. I like to see the album cover for the track I am hearing at the time and for me the album cover changes for each track because I almost always shuffle my whole collection.

Maybe there is way to make the current track applet bigger?

rogerduncan100
stuffcorpse
KDE Developer
OS

Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:06 pm
rogerduncan100 wrote:I am talking about the current track applet. I like to see the album cover for the track I am hearing at the time and for me the album cover changes for each track because I almost always shuffle my whole collection.

Maybe there is way to make the current track applet bigger?

Unfortunately the size is hard-coded, along with the svg bits surrounding it. Can you open a wish on the bug tracker for this? Thanks.
rogerduncan100
Registered Member

Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:06 am
I have opened a wish in the bug tracker. Thanks for your help.
Rodney_F
Registered Member

Re: Cover Preview Size  Topic is solved

Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:23 pm
This was a big issue for me switching to Amarok 2 also, until I figured out a simple solution that's way better than what I had with Amarok 1.4. In KDE use the 'Now Rocking' plasmoid and change the cover preview to whatever size you want, I set mine to around 700px square, I like to see my album covers in as much detail as possible and that's about as big as I can go on my laptop without it looking silly. In Gnome it's a bit more difficult, but with a bit of playing around with the themes and config files I managed to set up the 'Now Playing' screenlet to the same size.

Okay, so the art's not actually in the programme window, but I think it might actually be better this way. In 1.4 I was often frustrated by what I saw as the inadequate 300px cover view, but I could see how it would be difficult to fit anything bigger in without screwing up the layout. I think there's more scope in 2.2 for an album art widget or something like that, but I still doubt it could offer the scope of a separate plasmoid/screenlet.
rogerduncan100
Registered Member

Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:02 am
Thank you kindly!

The "Now Playing" widget that ships with Kubuntu works perfectly. I get just the size I want for the cover and I can have lyrics too. It's great!

It's funny I never thought to try it before, KDE is the best!

I really appreciate your advice! ;D