This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to improve amarok sound quality?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
oela
Registered Member
Hi,

I recently got myself the M-Audio Revolution 7.1 soundcard for better sound quality for my Kubuntu 8.10 Linux.

For the drivers I had the choice between OSS en ALSA, but opted for OSS since M-Audio recommends OSS. I installed the drivers and anything works fine.

Now my problem is the sound quality. I first played my music in VLC player, changed the equalizer to rock and got really excellent sound quality. I want to use Amarok, because its much more practical, works better and looks better, but for some reason the sound quality in Amarok is not nearly as crisp as in VLC. I also changed the equalizer settings and completely removed the ALSA drivers so that the only available drivers are OSS.

So why is the sound quality in Amarok worse than VLC?? Any ideas on how I can improve the quality?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by oela on Thu May 14, 2009 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
oela
Registered Member
Anyone?
Conditional Zenith
Registered Member
Details such as which backend (probably xine) you are using would help.  Try to play your music in another program which uses that backend (for xine, you may have the xine command installed, kaffeine also uses xine).  If that also has similar issues, the problem is with the backend, not with amarok.

I don't know why they recommended OSS, but ALSA is where most of the action is.  Try the ALSA drivers too, and see if they have the same problems (I suspect they wont).
oela
Registered Member
Sorry for the delayed response!

I installed the ALSA drivers and that doesnt seem to make a difference. I suspect its not a driver problem but more of a settings problem. I use Xine as a backend. The equalizer of VLC seems to be much better than that of Amarok. Is there some settings I can change in xine perhaps?