This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[Feature Request] Wikipedia Auto-Disambiguation

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
aftermarketgirl
Registered Member
First off... 1.4 was great, but I *love* 2.1. It's amazing.

When 2.0 came out I was skeptical of the direction you were going, but the new version has made a convert and a zealot of me. =) You've all made a bunch of really clever UI decisions, some of which I was wishing for in the 1.x series.

Feature Request: When the wikipedia applet is redirected to a disambiguation page, it should have a list of terms (in order of importance) to grep, and then it should redirect to the article that most likely reflects the artist.

For instance, when I play Adam Green, the wikiapp displays this page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_green

It should guess that the "musician" option is the most probable option, and display that page.

Similarly for "Pink", it defaults to the color Pink:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink

Maybe it should double-check the disambiguation page, just in case, recognize that there's a "singer" option, and that's what the user probably wants to see.

The list would be as easy as a series of keywords, and hopefully it would be configurable per language: "Musician, Singer, [... some more options], Guitarist, Composer, [... more and more], Songwriter, Artist, [... etc]"

Ultimately it would be really useful for Amarok to make a best guess and then just add a disambig-icon next to the refresh icon with all the options, automagically parsed from the disambiguation page, in a menu.... and remember the user's preference of article if they change it.

Thanks again for all the hard work you guys do.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
FWIW, there is currently work in progress on the Wikipedia applet in 2.2-SVN :)

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
aftermarketgirl
Registered Member
Mamarok wrote:FWIW, there is currently work in progress on the Wikipedia applet in 2.2-SVN :)

Cool, good to hear. =)
Ronald-Pianist
Registered Member
I would like to know, whether it could be possible to choose which version of Wikipedia it would access - in my case it automatically goes to my native Czech mutation and I would prefer to use the English one (containing way more and more accurate articles), but couldn't find any option for this...
Or perhaps it is possible to set somewhere?

Thank you for the great application, it is really amazing piece of software :)
markey
KDE Developer
OS
Ronald-Pianist wrote:I would like to know, whether it could be possible to choose which version of Wikipedia it would access - in my case it automatically goes to my native Czech mutation and I would prefer to use the English one (containing way more and more accurate articles), but couldn't find any option for this...
Or perhaps it is possible to set somewhere?

Thank you for the great application, it is really amazing piece of software :)

Yeah, this is already implemented in 2.2 (SVN).

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer