This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Down Grading to 1.4

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
BadBob
Registered Member

Down Grading to 1.4

Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:14 am
I think 1.4 is the best music player I ever saw. After upgrading to Fedora 10 it was one of the first things. I tried. Version 2 cool. I thought as it loaded. What new and wonderful features was I going to find. Not to happen. It died with a messages say the data base was being updated and I should come back later. Immediately I noticed there was no cpu activity and mysql was not doing anything. It can't be updating the data base un less its real fast and it finished already.

Start it up again and it started rescanning my music files. I let it finish and when it was done I had new data in my database. no ratings, no scores, just what it had read form the tags. My play lists were gone.

Thinking may be if I restored from a backup it would work. I shut down, restored my data, and restarted amarok. No rescan and the ratings were back, but that was it as far as I could see. If I edited the file info there was a field for a score but I could not find one file that had any thing in the field.

My play lists were still gone and the new style doesn't make much sense. It certainly doesn't hold a candle to the old play lists.

I'm very disappointed to say the least. I'm trying to be nice here but I really think Amarok 2 is a pig. It goes backward. I really don't get it.

Do all the improvements you want just don't change what it does.

After several hours that I didn't have to spare I finally was able to get it rolled back to 1.4 and protected form updates so version 2 doesn't get upgraded by accident.

Unless there are some drastic changes I will not using version 2.

apswartz
Registered Member

Re: Down Grading to 1.4

Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:04 am
Even after trying 2.1.1 I have still gone back to 1.4.

I will admit that the sound quality in 2.1.1 is superior to 1.4, but 2.1.1 still doesn't recognize all of the tags in my mp3 files. I'm not sure why this is but it keeps me from adopting 2.1.1 on a permanent basis.
rm
Registered Member

Re: Down Grading to 1.4

Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:15 am
I'm contemplating a trip back to 1.4 as well. 

I used to use 1.4 for managing my ipod but when I started playing with KDE4 it broke parts of Amarok where certain things wouldn't work when interfacing between Amarok and the ipod.  Now, it seems nothing syncs.  So, rating music on the ipod is quite pointless because the ratings & play counts can't be transferred back to Amarok.  I can copy my music to/from the ipod, but syncing stats...  Which kind of ties into my next complaint.

The last problem is that I can't seem to find an equivalent to the old dynamic playlists, which were awesome for creating playlists for the ipod.  Want 50 random tracks that have never been played or rated?  It's easy in 1.4, and I'm left wondering how to get equivalent functionality from 2.x. 

I do like the 2.x interface, just missing some of the good ol' days.