This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

is there a smarter way to play my entire collection in random order?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
malrost
Registered Member
I'd like to play my entire locally-saved music collection at random and rate each track as it is played. A lot of my collection I haven't yet heard, so I don't know ahead of time what I'll want to hear again and what to discard. The idea is that I'll be able to quickly locate the higher-rated tracks in the future.

I'd found this pretty easy in the old Amarok, but finally updated to 2.1 and now feel as if I'm stumbling. I think I've found a way to do it, but it feels so hacked that I believe there *must* be a smarter way.

I first set Playlist>Random>Tracks. Then I went to the Collection browser, selected all files, right clicked and selected Append to Playlist. This seems to do the trick, but I can't help but feel that I'm missing something. Any suggestions?

I am *very* confused as to why I couldn't add multiple folders in an attempt to do the same thing via Playlist>Add Media.
gsteinert
Registered Member
Yes there is a much simpler and smarter way of listening to your entire collection on random =)
Amarok 2 has a dynamic playlist function, which can be found under the 'Playlist' tab. Simply turn it on and the default settings will select random tracks from your collection to play. Add some options to fine tune what you want to listen to. You can favour certain artists and remove selected albums, whatever you want really.

Have a play around and see what suits you best =)

Hope it helps

Gary Steinert