This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[clarified] Amarok 2.x and Devices what is going on?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
juan-lutz
Registered Member
Hello Amarok Team,
I am user of the wonderful Amarok application since years.
One of the functionality I am still missing in the Amarok 2 series is the "Device" one.
The possibility to administrate the iPod data bank for instance, was (together with  other ) under the Version 1.4 excellent.
In this forum I couldn't find any confirmation nor rejection if this "Device" function will be provided in the future development of Amarok and I have interest now to know the status of this issue.

Best regards,
Juan-Lutz ( still using 1.4 ;) )

Last edited by juan-lutz on Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dieter Schroeder
Registered Member
OS
Not sure, if I understood you right. You're looking for the possibility to add devices (mediaplayers) to Amarok2?
There's no device section in the settings, nor a tab anymore. Mediaplayers appear as collections in the collection browser, when they are connected (and supported, of course).
So you can just copy tracks from one collection to another.

Greetings
m0nk

If men could get pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament.
juan-lutz
Registered Member
Thank you !
aermler
Registered Member
OS
Is it true that generic USB MP3 players aren't yet supported by 2.1.1? At least I can't get it working.
Dieter Schroeder
Registered Member
OS
What is a generic USB player? A device that acts as a disk or mtp devices?

m0nk

aermler
Registered Member
OS
I mean one that acts as a disk. :)
Dieter Schroeder
Registered Member
OS
Disks can be filled by drag 'n' drop from within your filemanager. Or you can use this Amarok 2 script
In latter version there will be the ability to have multiple collections, so you can copy from/to your MP3-Player directly from within A2.

m0nk

aermler
Registered Member
OS
Ok, I knew that I can use a file manager, but that's always really annoying because it takes time to find the tracks, to keep a nice directory structure etc.
So with Amarok 2.2 will there be again the possibility to take a selected track and pick "Transfer to media device"? And have a nice queue etc., like in Amarok 1.4?
Dieter Schroeder
Registered Member
OS
Seems you've overlooked the link in my post.
And it seems that your player is a mtp device.
Because simple mp3-sticks don't appear in Amarok, even in A1. WRONG!
Name? Model?

m0nk

Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aermler
Registered Member
OS
I didn't have time until today to try the script. It kind of helps a little, so thanks, but still isn't what I am looking for.
I'm pretty sure it's not a mtp device. I think I have to mount it and hit "Connect" or so (I don't have a computer with Amarok here right now) before it shows up but it is in there and I can just use the device tab to copy and delete music on my player. It's a Samsung YP-MT6.
Dieter Schroeder
Registered Member
OS
Samsung YP-MT6 is treated as a mass-storage device. So for simple filling I would use the file-browser to drag songs I've selected from the playlist to the player. Support directly from Amarok is announced for 2.2. Don't know what you exactly expect.

m0nk

Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aermler
Registered Member
OS
I thought there would be something like in 1.4, a devices tab or something similar, where I have a queue with the tracks I want to transfer and where I can see how much space there is left on my player, that it generates a directory structure and that I can just make a right click on any track in my collection or a playlist and pick "Transfer to media player".

But if support for that is in 2.2 that's great! :) Do you know when approximately it will be released and when there will be the first beta releases?