This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to Copy files to iPod in Amarok 2.1.1?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
paddlaren
Registered Member
Hi!

I have just moved from amarok 1.4 to amarok 2.1.1 (hours ago). I have managed the collection om my iPod Clasic 160Gb using Amarok 1.4 and have all the libgpod-stuff installed and usual it works.

When I am about to copy some new audio-books to the iPod I fail.

First I mount the iPod using the file manager (dolphin).

Amarok then detects the iPod and a new iPod-collection shows up. I can brows the iPod files and as I write this Amarok plays music from the  iPod. 

It is when I tries to copy files to the iPod I never make it.
If I chose a file in the file-listing in Amarok (not dolphin) there is no such thing as "queue to device" (As sugested in other postings), just  "copy to" and in sub-menu "iPod collection". I tried this, nothing happens.

I normally have disabled the context area but tried to enable it which made no difference. I also added Devices in the context area, still no success.

I am using gentoo and the ipod USE-flags are enabled.

Please help me!
How can I use Amarok to sync files with the iPod?
If there is an iPod-plugin, where can I get it?

Regards,
Erik
whites11
Registered Member
OS
i don't know if this is your problem too, but i noticed that if you try to transfer music files in a incompatible format (i.e. ogg files), amarok fails without notification.
i tryied with mp3's and it worked perfectly.

amarok 2.1.1, arch linux, ipod nano 2nd gen
bricerebsamen
Registered Member
The original post was 6 months ago. I am now using Amarok 2.2.2 under Sid. Same as the original poster, I can see my ipod, I can even delete the files from it, but I can't add any file to it. I tried to select all files in the playlist and drag them to the ipod tab, but that's not possible (the pointer changes to the red forbidden sign).
Stecchino
KDE Developer
You should be able to use the "copy/move to collection" action in the right-click menu. If not, that is a bug.

I agree you should be able to use drag and drop to copy tracks. It seems this is not implemented but as far as I know it's technically possible.
Can you perhaps create a wish item on http://bugs.kde.org ? This way you can track it and make sure it ends up in the next version (2.2.3).

edit: I mean in the collection browser. These actions are not available from The Playlist. Drag and drop from the playlist however should be implemented along with d'n'd within the collectionbrowser.
bricerebsamen
Registered Member
I found out that copy/move from collection browser works fine. In my opinion, it would be really nice if we could transfer from the playlist too, especially for those shuffle players... What I normally did with Amarok 1.x was to create a playlist (using the (missed) 'add 50 random songs' action), edit it by adding/removing some stuffs and then transfer the item in the playlist to my shuffle ipod.
I will create a wish item as you suggested.
jakartadean
Registered Member
OS
I'm jealous of those who can get any joy out of amarok 2. Is there some way to transfer a playlist to a remote device (iPod)? I've searched without success.

To me, to be honest, amarok 2 is still not ready for deployment, never mind the incomplete and buggy version that shipped with the (also buggy) early versions of kde4. No playlist transfer = not ready, at least for me. And if it's there, why is it so difficult to find?

Dean
Stecchino
KDE Developer
You won't find it since it's not there yet.
Fully in development though, it's just impossible to do this in 6 weeks in ones free time. Remember what you pay for using amarok and be patient, please.

Bart
bricerebsamen
Registered Member
For all the people who are not fully happy with Amarok 2, instead of stressing the developers with our complaints, let's try to install Amarok 1.4 in KDE4 in our respective distros and let's post guides saying how to do it ... I saw a couple of blogs claiming that some people manage to do it, there was even a guide for a distro (can't remember which one). I am running Debian Sid, I downloaded the source code, and I'll try to do it as soon as my work leaves me some free time. In the meantime, if you know of a guide, let me know.
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS
bricerebsamen wrote:For all the people who are not fully happy with Amarok 2, instead of stressing the developers with our complaints, let's try to install Amarok 1.4 in KDE4 in our respective distros and let's post guides saying how to do it ... I saw a couple of blogs claiming that some people manage to do it, there was even a guide for a distro (can't remember which one). I am running Debian Sid, I downloaded the source code, and I'll try to do it as soon as my work leaves me some free time. In the meantime, if you know of a guide, let me know.

Feel free to do so, but not HERE. This forum is for the discussion of Amarok, which is now 2.x. There are numerous forks of 1.4; you might try them out.

Meanwhile, we're working full steam ahead on improving and perfecting Amarok, and would welcome help doing that.
Dieter Schroeder
Registered Member
OS
Feel free to do so, but not HERE. This forum is for the discussion of Amarok, which is now 2.x. There are numerous forks of 1.4; you might try them out.

I don't think, that you are in the position to decide which version of Amarok is discussed here, until the forum is splitted into 2, one for 1.x and one for 2.x.
The developers stated several times, that A2 is not an update of 1.x. So we have two independent apps here.
Sorry, you're on kde.org here, not on valoriez.only.accepts.amarok2

If I'm wrong, please correct me.

m0nk

If men could get pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament.
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS
Hey m0nk, thanks for the slap-down. I'm not a Forum moderator, so it's not my place to set policy. I did love Amarok when it was 1.4 -- but that was a long time ago.

Valorie