This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Amarok 2.1.1 and Media Devices ?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Did67
Registered Member
OS

Amarok 2.1.1 and Media Devices ?

Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:42 am
Hello,

I use Amarok 2.1.1 on Mandriva 2009.1. And I can't find the UMS Media Devices. On the older version from Amarok it was possible to synchronize with my Media Devices.

How can I do that with this version ???

Tank's

Did
TeaAge
Alumni
OS
As far as I know, you have to add the widget "Media Device" to the middle bar.
There you should be able to see and work with you media devices.

Regards,
TeaAge

TeaAge, very proud KDE 4 User and to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
google01103
Manager
TeaAge wrote:As far as I know, you have to add the widget "Media Device" to the middle bar.

Regards,
TeaAge

I'm not seeing it in my version of 2.2 and I think it was a gsoc project so not sure if it's implemented yet - anyone confirm?

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

Mamarok
Manager
OS
google01103 wrote:
TeaAge wrote:As far as I know, you have to add the widget "Media Device" to the middle bar.

Regards,
TeaAge

I'm not seeing it in my version of 2.2 and I think it was a gsoc project so not sure if it's implemented yet - anyone confirm?

Because that widget is outdated AFAIK. If you mount your media device, it should simply show up in the Collection Browser (in recent Amarok 2.2-git only, of course).

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
google01103
Manager

Re: Amarok 2.1.1 and Media Devices ?

Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:30 pm
Mamarok wrote:
google01103 wrote:

Regards,
TeaAge

Because that widget is outdated AFAIK. If you mount your media device, it should simply show up in the Collection Browser (in recent Amarok 2.2-git only, of course).

Running the 8/13 git and it does recognize my mp3 device BUT I hadn't noticed it because it is only accessible to me by using the file browser. Per your response it should be in the local collection also - correct? Maybe I need an update

thanks, this is good news

Mamarok
Manager
OS

Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:10 pm
a git from August 13 on August 20/21? This is already quite old, there have been some huge commits since, you should try to update at least daily.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
google01103
Manager

Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:19 pm
Mamarok wrote:a git from August 13 on August 20/21? This is already quite old, there have been some huge commits since, you should try to update at least daily.

I'm running what I can get in the openSuse Playground repo, compiling is weird on my machine as I get all these work files created in / (something is amiss and I don't compile enough anymore to care). Will there ever be daily's for anything other than Ubuntu?

TeaAge
Alumni
OS

Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:28 am
Amarok 2.1.1 uses the Widget to access the medie player.
In Amarok 2.2 you have to use the Local Collection to see your medeia player. USB-Sticks will also be visable there if there is a file called .is_audio_player on the Stick.

http://awainzin-foss.blogspot.com/2009/ ... evice.html

And of course, everething mountable can be reached through the browser function.

Regards,
TeaAge

google01103
Manager

Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:39 am
TeaAge wrote:Amarok 2.1.1 uses the Widget to access the medie player.
In Amarok 2.2 you have to use the Local Collection to see your medeia player. USB-Sticks will also be visable there if there is a file called .is_audio_player on the Stick.

And of course, everething mountable can be reached through the browser function.

Regards,
TeaAge

I just finished compiling today's git and it seems to work but for local collection the usb device must be read by clicking the icon - correct, it is not automatically read?

Did67
Registered Member
OS
google01103 wrote:
Mamarok wrote:a git from August 13 on August 20/21? This is already quite old, there have been some huge commits since, you should try to update at least daily.

I'm running what I can get in the openSuse Playground repo, compiling is weird on my machine as I get all these work files created in / (something is amiss and I don't compile enough anymore to care). Will there ever be daily's for anything other than Ubuntu?

OK, I have the 2.1.1 version from Mandriva 2009.1.

The solution is the same as Rhytmbox solution.

I will test at home this evening.

Thank you

Did
Did67
Registered Member
OS
Sorry, but on my 2.1.1 this solution doesn't work :((

Is this a option for the futur 2.2 version ?

Thank you

Did
TeaAge
Alumni
OS
Which solution?

For 2.1.1 you have to add the widget "Media Devices" into the middle panal in amarok.
For 2.2 you go through Collection -> Local Collection (not tested yet)

Which Media Device do you use?

Regards,
TeaAge

Did67
Registered Member
OS
TeaAge wrote:Which solution?

For 2.1.1 you have to add the widget "Media Devices" into the middle panal in amarok.
For 2.2 you go through Collection -> Local Collection (not tested yet)

Which Media Device do you use?

Regards,
TeaAge

Hello

my first post was

I use Amarok 2.1.1 on Mandriva 2009.1. And I can't find the UMS Media Devices. On the older version from Amarok it was possible to synchronize with my Media Devices.

How can I do that with this version

And the solution that I use is this solution
This is the same solution as Rhytmbox (it works fine on Rhytmbox)

In the 2.1.1 the widget "Media Devices" doesn't work with UMS. Amarok doesn't see my simple UMS media device. With the 1.x version it works very fine !!!

Also my question is the solution "create a file ".is_audio_player" at the root of your device" only for the future 2.2 version ??

Thanks

Did
Dieter Schroeder
Registered Member
OS
No support for UMS devices in 2.1x, but in 2.2. Also the .is_audio_player feature is for 2.2

m0nk

If men could get pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament.
Did67
Registered Member
OS
Dieter Schroeder wrote:No support for UMS devices in 2.1x, but in 2.2. Also the .is_audio_player feature is for 2.2

m0nk

Thanks for this clearly response.

I will wait the 2.2 version.

Thanks

Did