This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

question on streaming capabilities of amarok 2

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
algarues
Registered Member
OS
can anybody play mms and rts streams with amarok 2.x ?
I thought it was possible since phonon=xine can do that with kmplayer and with other xine based players that I have installed.
Amarok 1.4 with the xine engine could do that.
Is there any configuration that i am missing?
Thanks for any help
algarues
google01103
Manager

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

algarues
Registered Member
OS

thanks for the info

I compiled the latest git version of amarok 2.2, once again most things work except playing the mms and rts streams.

I use "add stream" from the menu.

If I had an mms stream, it will appear in the playlist, then if I double click it, the idication that the stream is being played appears in the bottom right corner, but the timer is tuck at 0:00.

On the other hand, if I had a rts stream it does not even appear in the playlist.

It is identical to any other version of 2.x that I tried in the past.
If other people can use it instead, it makes me think that there must be something to configure
somewhere in my system.
algarues
Registered Member
OS
I actually found out that my phonon backend was set to gstreamer instead of xine.
After switching to xine the mms streams work, but rts still do not
google01103
Manager
algarues wrote:I actually found out that my phonon backend was set to gstreamer instead of xine.

if you provide a rts link I'll test it on my install

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

algarues
Registered Member
OS
google01103 wrote:
algarues wrote:I actually found out that my phonon backend was set to gstreamer instead of xine.

if you provide a rts link I'll test it on my install

OK, the link is
rtsp://live.media.rai.it/broadcast/radiotre.rm

thank you
Mamarok
Manager
OS
I can't play that here neither, 2.2-git of today, xine backend, KDE 4.3.

It plays with VLC, though, so this is either a phonon or a xine problem.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
algarues
Registered Member
OS
Mamarok wrote:I can't play that here neither, 2.2-git of today, xine backend, KDE 4.3.

It plays with VLC, though, so this is either a phonon or a xine problem.

I can play it with amarok 1.4, however i had to configure xine with the gui in order to let it know where the directory with the real codecs is. But then everything works fine.
Nevertheless it does not work with amarok 2.2-git
something really strange is the mms vs rtsp behaviour (when I select the add stream... command in amarok 2.2-git) that I described in one of my posts before
do you get the same type of behaviour from the app?
If yes, then it is an amarok issue and not a xine one
Mamarok
Manager
OS
True, it' doesn't even appear in the playlist, so this might well be an Amarok issue then. Could you please file a bug against that here:

https://bugs.kde.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=amarok

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
algarues
Registered Member
OS
bug filed