This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

I miss variable delay between tracks

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
querido
Registered Member
OS
Few here mention language study as their main application for Amarok. I'm one, and I want to mention now while Amarok 2 is still so fluid, that I miss the settings in the previous version that could be used to add a variable length of silence between tracks. I was using this for listening-comprehension drilling.

This must be automated because I have thousands of sound clips, but here are three alternatives I've thought of:

1. Use foobar2000 with foo_dsp_silence plugin. (requires wine, not open source, not KDE)
2. Script sox to add actual padding. (not conveniently variable- uses disk space)
3. Run a script to write a playlist that interleaves audio filenames with a dummy blank filename, keeping blank files of several lengths to rename as desired to the dummy name. (doesn't work right with "random").

My choice: I've scripted sox to take a directory of my audio clips, and write one or more subdirectories with padded copies. This isn't elegant but works perfectly.

It would be convenient to keep this function in Amarok. I wonder if anyone else uses it this way.

Edited to make post easier to read.
querido
Registered Member
OS
Let me also mention that Audacious has a setting "silence between songs", so I can't be the only one looking for this.

The writers of audio players have worked hard on this technical problem of eliminating tiny gaps where they aren't supposed to be or aren't wanted- a different issue. Having that done now, some people will still want configurable spaces between tracks, whether or not they were present in the original source.