This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Anti-feature: Build-in search in $HOME

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Dieter Schroeder
Registered Member
OS
The automatic search in $HOME/*[Mm]usic* is really annoying. I rip the CD and Amarok constantly rescans. I write the tags and add covers, Amarok rescans. I move the tracks to their final destination, which is not in $HOME, but on an external disk, Amarok rescans, leaving my beloved "Unknown artist/Unknown album/unknown track" fragment in my collection.
Removing the entry from amarokrc doesn't help anymore, too.
Plz. devs remove this anti-feature. Why is there a first run wizard?

m0nk

If men could get pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament.
google01103
Manager
I do all my prep work in what I named ~/MyTemp and then move it to my music directory.
I have both Audex and Gnormalize (the 2 rippers I use) use the MyTemp dir so I've never experienced this (luckily).

Cripes I'd love getting rid of the "Unknown artist/Unknown album/unknown track" and the one under "Variou Artisits" entries - are they there because of forced scan of $HOME/*[Mm]usic*? And is it Amarok that keeps recreating ~/Music after I delete it?

+1 to have the auto scan removed - Amarok should only scan those dir's selected in the configuration

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

Dieter Schroeder
Registered Member
OS
The folder isn't created by Amarok. Amarok searches for folders with *usic* and I believe it also must be a so-called place, like the one you can create in dolphin (.local/share/user-places.xbel). So it doesn't need to be called $HOME/Music
And yes, these ghost-entries appear, if you move the tagged files, while the collectionscanner runs. Seems to be a kind of hick-up.
Another point are the covers. Amarok saves the path to the (in my case) auto-detected cover, but because of the move afterwards this path is invalid then.

m0nk

google01103
Manager
Dieter Schroeder wrote:The folder isn't created by Amarok.<snip>

No, the dir ~/Music is created by Amarok - I closed Amarok, rmdir'ed ~/Music and when I restarted Amarok the directory was recreated

Dieter Schroeder
Registered Member
OS
??
I don't have and never had a folder ~/Music here.
Is there an entry in amarokrc like -1=./Music?

m0nk

google01103
Manager
the entry in amarokrc is "-1=./home/smiley/MyMedia/Music

weird - this dir started appearing recently, maybe when I started using 2.2git. And is definitely recreated when Amarok starts

Dieter Schroeder
Registered Member
OS
Deleting the entry is insufficient, only removes the checkmark in Amarok's collection settings. The directory is in the database, too. I removed it and will see, if amarok starts scanning again.
Have you set this path in your systemsettings->personal settings as music folder? (I have: ~/MyMusic)
Or is this folder a so-called place (in the sidebar) in dolphin? (like me)

m0nk

google01103
Manager
hmmm - forgot about that - it's no longer "personal settings" now it's "about me". Made changes so music dir was no longer ~/Music but it keets getting re-created when Amarok starts, seems Amarok wants it even if I don't.

Dieter Schroeder
Registered Member
OS
I removed all entries to home/ds/MyMusic from the directories table in the database and now amarok is quiet until the tracks are moved to their destination.
Hope the bug report helps and this feature gets kicked in the can.

m0nk

Dieter Schroeder
Registered Member
OS
@google01103: I must apologize.
Now Amarok creates this suspicious ~/Music folder. That can't be real. What the heck is the intention behind this behaviour?

m0nk

Ahmad Samir
Registered Member
OS
I am not an expert on Amarok collections, but ~/Music is a standard folder AFAIK, check ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs or from the GUI in systemsettings> About me> Paths.

I have to either point XDG_MUSIC_DIR= to another location otherwise deleting ~/Music will be re-created on login as xdg-user-dirs-update will recreate it.

You can test, delete ~/Music then run:
Code: Select all
xdg-user-dirs-update

the directory will be recreated, it may be that Amarok is recreating it as it's a default location.... so try changing the path to the ~/Music directory from systemsettings.
google01103
Manager
@medo3891 my XDG_MUSIC_DIR is not pointed to ~/Music (changed by way of systemsettings) and ~/Music is recreated not at login but when Amarok starts - this is an Amarok issue

Dieter Schroeder
Registered Member
OS
Exact, never used a folder called ~/Music, cause my schema is to prefix personal folders with My, like MyMusic, MyImages etc.
So my XDG_MUSIC_DIR points to ~/MyMusic.
The folder is definitely created on amarok startup.
And it uses locale, because it creates ~/Musik on a german KDE4
That sucks. I hate it, if applications are creating folders without asking the user. I'm not dumb, I can create a folder by myself, if I need it.
Throw it in the can...now!

m0nk

karoshi
Registered Member
OS
Do you guys have the RecordStream script installed? If yes, the script creates the folder. Path for the script is defined in .kde/share/apps/amarok/scripts/RecordStream/<locale>.js
google01103
Manager
karoshi wrote:Do you guys have the RecordStream script installed? If yes, the script creates the folder. Path for the script is defined in .kde/share/apps/amarok/scripts/RecordStream/<locale>.js

I do, thanks

PS - I posted to the author of the script on kde-apps asking that the behavior be changed