This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

AMAROK should not change file extensions!!! [v. 2.0.1]

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Kromitvs
Registered Member
Hy

I used the organize option in my music collection and deleted all extensions. I must now mannually added them again (since my Linux knowledge is very weak).

Anyway, Amarok does not recognize music files without the extension. And Amarok is a music program, not a file editor. The user should not have the option to change the file extension in Amarok since it has no use for it!
In fact, I think this should be reported as a bug. I won't do it because I'm a newbie and there may be a sound explanation for what I see as dangerous/no use option!

(And Amarok is my favorite music player, by the way!)

Last edited by Kromitvs on Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dieter Schroeder
Registered Member
OS
Woot???
Which version of Amarok are you using?
This is a must and should be in the subject or at least in your post.
Can you explain what you have done.
In the subject Amarok changed and in your post it removed the extension. So what is correct?
It's correct, that amarok doesn't recognize, files without extension.
If you load them, amarok plays them, but shows no metainformation (which is a bug, indeed)

m0nk

If men could get pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament.
Kromitvs
Registered Member
Hy!

Thanks for the heads up (I just edited the subject).
Amarok allows the user to chenge the extension of a file, in my case, I ended up deleting. To do just that I right clicked on any file from my collection and selected "organized files" then I selected the way I would like files to be organize (e.g., genre/algum/track).

I did not realize the extension was editable too, so I did not added it at the end. It took me some time to understand why Amarok stopped loading my files. They had lost their extensions.

As far as I see it (as you already may noticed I am not an advanced user...) Amarok should always leave the extension unchanged. Being able to change the extension, when I am organizing my collection is not a good feature (at least for me!).

I hope I was clearer this tine (it's always obvious when I see it, right?...)
Mamarok
Manager
OS
First of all, you really, really should update your version, Amarok 2.2 beta 1 has just been released, version 2.0.1 is more than a year old...

Also, why do you use an option that is not a basic feature in the first place? If you follow and read the indications on the screen in this option, it tells you what is going to happen, I really don't understand why you execute a function if you don't know what it is doing... as far as I am concerned, before executing anything in any application I don't know prudence would be to first ask, then proceed, or simply cancel the action if in doubt.

FWIW, files without extensions not playing in Amarok is a bug: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=206345

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
Dieter Schroeder
Registered Member
OS
This option has always been dangerous, but if you don't know how to handle it, leave your hands off or ask.
Although I must say that the extension should be added automatically.
But 2.0.1 is so old, that I can't remember.
Update to 2.2-beta1 as fast as you can. (No, faster)
And as I wrote above, the extension issue is a bug already reported by me.

m0nk

Kromitvs
Registered Member
Well, in fact I don't do manual updates. I don't know how. I use Opensuse. When a new version is available at the repositories there, I'll get it... Anyway, I was just pointing out that something that seemed to be thought of as feature, had some what of doubtful value.

Maybe I should have began with a simple question: why should a music player be changing file extensions?

By the way, I did no realize this was an advanced feature. I just moved some icons around, with a cd picture and some other stuff, so I could "organize my files".

In the end, I am just saying it would be more intuitive if it left file extensions alone. Because, I can always change "Mozzart" to Mozart (even inside Amarok) without any knowledge of what's underneath it. But wmv to mp3? Well, that's a whole different story... In fact, when would anyone need to do that to a collection file? Unless it was wrong, of course. In which case, at least I, would not load Amarok to correct it...

So, am I looking at this the wrong way?
Dieter Schroeder
Registered Member
OS
So you should add some repos to your installation.
Which version of KDE are you using? Current is 4.3.1
And current Amarok can be found here:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Playground/openSUSE_11.1_KDE4_Factory_Desktop/x86_64/

And your arguments against such a risky operation in an audio player is also my opinion.

m0nk

Kromitvs
Registered Member
And I felt rather attacked back there... looks like we agree after all!

I use KDE 4.1.3. I looked around and added some repos. But, being a novice to linux, I tend to stay with version marked [stable]... it does sound better...
Dieter Schroeder
Registered Member
OS
4.3.1 is the current stable version. So you really should add the repo http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Factory:/Desktop/openSUSE_11.1 and the above suggested one.
KDE 4.1.3 and Amarok 2.0.1 are really really outdated.

m0nk

Kromitvs
Registered Member
Thanks for the repos links!