This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

I miss filenames in the playlist

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
querido
Registered Member
OS

I miss filenames in the playlist

Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:30 pm
With the previous version of Amarok I used only the filesystem browser and the playlist, and in the playlist I saw only filename and playing time. That was the exact setup and minimal functionality I wanted.

My sound files are just language-learning related snippets and aren't tagged with anything except the meaningful filenames I've given them, but since Amarok no longer shows the filename in the playlist, I would have to tag them to see a name over there, unless I'm just missing something ...a name formatting thingie that uses the filename as the title, or something?

(Dolphin+smplayer, foobar2000 under wine, and aqualung are three alternatives.)

Edit: I've read and I understand a thread: viewtopic.php?f=121&t=73069&hilit=filenames where the virtue of organization via metadata versus filesystem hierarchy is discussed. But by offering "filename" as a column heading in the playlist window, it would help those who still prefer to organize in the filesystem. Metadata gets between me and my files, and I'm one of those old-fashioned people who can't handle that.

Last edited by querido on Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hans
Administrator
OS

Something like this?
Not everything is possible to do with the current version of Amarok, but you can try the 2.2 beta if you want. Which version do you use?

To change the playlist layout, I use the button that the red arrow points to in the screenshot. I haven't used Amarok 2.1 very much so I'm not sure if it's possible to do in that version - you could try to click on the wrench icon (if you use 2.1) and see if there's a playlist layout setting.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
querido
Registered Member
OS
O.K., I'm a dummy.
I always try everything before asking; I don't know why I missed it.

Thank you.

Edit:
I remember now: the *first* time I tried to use the beta's playlist configurator it crashed and I just abandoned it. It worked fine this time.

Ahhh... Now mine looks exactly like yours (with the unimportant exceptions that my controller buttons are large and at the top, and my progress bar and volume slider are at the top. I like yours a little better but I don't see how to change it.

Additional hint: in the configurator, after dragging an icon down, right click on it to set the left, center, right justification.

Debian unstable (using "-t experimental"), "2.1.80 (2.2 Beta 1)"
Hans
Administrator
OS
Oh so you already use the beta. Nice to hear that it's solved. ;D

Ahhh... Now mine looks exactly like yours (with the unimportant exceptions that my controller buttons are large and at the top, and my progress bar and volume slider are at the top. I like yours a little better but I don't see how to change it.

Right click on toolbar, check "Main Toolbar NG" and uncheck "Main Toolbar". If you want to move it down, unlock layout (Settings -> Configure Amarok... -> uncheck "Lock layout") and drag the toolbar down as you do in other applications (on the left edge).

Additional hint: in the configurator, after dragging an icon down, right click on it to set the left, center, right justification.

On my build I have a wrench icon on hover. Clicking on it lets me choose alignment, bold/italic/underlined text etc.

By the way, could you please mark this topic as solved if you're satisfied with the answer? Simply click on Image under the post with the best answer. You can read more about it here.

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
querido
Registered Member
OS
Yes, I'll mark it solved.

"Oh so you already use the beta."

I switched just now because your screenshot looked perfect.

One more thing: I can confirm what someone else posted here: I had to log out and back in before the "lock layout" option appeared. The "wrench icon on hover" and the "right click on controller buttons" weren't working until then either.
(This might be related to why it crashed the first time I tried it.)

Now mine looks exactly like yours.
Thank you very much.
slickrick56
Registered Member
OS
I had question about operating my Amarok. I hit the help button and it tell me
" The file or folder Help/Amarok/Index does not exist " I have no way of fully understanding or operating my Amarok. Can you help me please... Thanks
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS
The Handbook is being written. For now, please read the Amarok Insiders on http://amarok.kde.org . We also have material on the wiki, or you can come into our IRC channel on Freenode: #amarok

All the best,

Valorie