This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Feature Request: Dont save playlist on exit

Tags: playlist, feature request playlist, feature request playlist, feature request
(comma "," separated)
athmoss
Registered Member
OS
I'm missing the "don't save playlist on exit" (or whatever it was called in amarok 1.4) checkbox in amarok configuration. I always have to delete the saved playlist and then drag some albums from the collection to the empty playlist.

by playlist i mean the right third of amarok's window, not a saved pls or m3u file
google01103
Manager
when dragging from left panel (collection panel) to playlist panel the option "replace playlist" appears (as do other options) in the middle panel (context) and this removes the existing playlist replacing it with what is being dragged. When dragging hover over the "replace" area (of the context panel) and when it turns grey release mouse button.

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

mc2man
Registered Member
That's not really addressing the question.

I guess the expectation is that no one would be using amarok in a minimized state, so you could just clear it from the gui before exiting.

Actually it was a very useful setting in 1.4 and should be returned.

If for whatever reason it can't be done in the gui or rc how about 2 simple additions to the command list

clear <playlist>
exit

At least then those that wish could create their own means depending on what system they're running

( both commands exist now in the gui, just make them available like then handful that currently are.

@google01103
depending on what your running a slight workaround ( and useful in it's own right) is to use the --load and --play commands
If you're on nautilus a r. click nautilus action or r. click option (userapp.desktop) of this on either single tracks or a dir. allows some functionality of amarok 2 when minimized

amarok --load --play
also useful for a min. amarok is
amarok --append
markey
KDE Developer
OS
You could probably create an Amarok Script that does this elegantly. See here:

http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/Development/ ... _HowTo_2.0

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
fcwells59
Registered Member
OS
While I accept that it's probably possible and maybe even trivial to script this, I strongly disagree with the idea of solving the problem this way.

In my opinion the "clear playlist on exit" option should be an *integrated* playlist management feature. There are significant reasons why common playlist functionality needs to remain tightly integrated into the core app as opposed to add-on functionality.

In it's current state, without this feature, every time amarok starts, the previous playlist is loaded - unless manual action was previously taken by the user to clear the playlist prior. This added manual action adds a certain clumsiness to the otherwise awesome amarok application.

I would also argue that quite likely a fair percentage of users don't prefer the current behavior.

fcwells59, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
Lukas
Registered Member
Lets say I'm a newbie to amarok. Whtas the point of not saving playlist on exit (this way amarok should start with empty playlist or with last saved)?

The only reason, it that, amarok should't continue playing after start (if playlist is empty), but it can already be done by unchecking Resume playback on start. Any other changes to playlist after start can be done ith the same way when playlist is empty/full
fcwells59
Registered Member
OS
Some people prefer to start Amarok with an empty playlist. Some people prefer Amarok to resume with the previous playlist. It's all a matter of choice. Let's make it an option. BTW, this very feature existed in the 1.x series.

markey
KDE Developer
OS
Won't happen, sorry. This use case is just too obscure.

These kind of things are exactly what we created the scripting interface for.

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
fcwells59
Registered Member
OS
No point in me trying to argue for it then, huh. Accept to say that I disagree that this is an obscure use case. To the contrary, I would argue that this behavior is what many users expect, but are sadly forced to live with less. :/ It seems like such a simple feature to add and would IMO satisfy a large group of users. I do wish you'd reconsider.

fcwells59
Registered Member
OS
Just a little more food for thought.

When users open their favorite word processor, etc. they don't expect the previous document. Or, with their browser... the last web site. Dolphin... they're last directory. Konsole... the last bash command. K3b... the last DVD project. Etc.. Etc... In much the same way, for many (IMO), the fact that Amarok opens with the previous playlist is simply counter-intuitive.

If this truly were a highly obscure use case I would accept that scripting is the right approach to a fix. I just disagree that it's obscure (as I've already stated). On the other hand, the fact that few (presumably) have chimed in on this may prove me wrong. :)

Nuff said. Not really worthy of protracted debate on this tiny issue. But, as I said, I really DO wish Amarok developers would reconsider.

Mamarok
Manager
OS
Well, you can remove your playlist with a simple click before closing Amarok, so why making such a fuzz?

FWIW, I very much like to find my playlist again when I start up, so there are both cases.

We simply can't implement every feature every users wishes, and, as Mark said, there is a possibility to script this behavior. We already made the possibilities of adding personalized features so much bigger with the scripting engine than it ever was in 1.4 :)

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
fcwells59
Registered Member
OS
Not really trying to make a fuzz - Just feel that this particular playlist feature - likely to be very commonly used as I'm sure it was in 1.x - should be an integrated feature. Consider that the broader set of Amarok users are likely not inclined or able to script this for themselves.

I'm also aware that I can manually clear my playlist before exiting as I tend to do, but I find it counter-intuitive as I've pointed out. Not to mention and unnecessarily repetitive.

Nevertheless, I can live without the feature if the powers that be don't agree. Was hoping for some supporting feedback from other users. Alas, athmoss and I seem to stand alone on this presently.

With or without this feature, Amarok is an awesome tool!! :)