This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

shoutcast/podcast feature requests

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
drinkingcoffee
Registered Member

shoutcast/podcast feature requests

Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:45 pm
Hey All --

I've been running Amarok 2 (now 2.2beta) for a while now, and there are a couple of things that I miss (and a couple of new ideas) when it comes to shoutcast streams and podcasts.

-- If I remember right in 1.4, songs played in shoutcast streams would be added to the recently played history (for streams that provide that information). I always found that useful for seeing what song just finished playing (if I wasn't paying attention).

-- Also in 1.4 (if memory serves), we had the ability to view additional information for podcast episodes. Some podcast authors include comments, descriptions and track listings in the RSS feeds. Hopefully that's a feature that will be coming back? Maybe as a Widget?

-- Would it be possible to save 'cover art' for streams? and/or podcasts? Often I find (I guess this is a bug) that the 'current track' widget will just display the cover art for whatever song was playing before the stream or podcast started. Sometimes with funny results. Also, I think it would make it easier to see the podcasts and streams in the browser (I keep my favourite streams in playlists).

-- On that note (streams in playlists). Would it be possible to have a 'favourite streams' section in the 'Internet' browser that we could easily add streams to (i.e. right-click-> add to favourites)? Similar to 'Cool streams', but user generated. Exaile has this feature, and I found it handy.

-- Oh, and unrelated, would it be possible to add a second widget panel?
I still have a fondness for having that current track info above the browsers, but I've come to really enjoy the wikipedia widget (especially the latest versions), and think it would be great to have them in separate places.

Just my 2 cents.

cheers.
aapgorilla
Registered Member
OS
drinkingcoffee wrote:-- If I remember right in 1.4, songs played in shoutcast streams would be added to the recently played history (for streams that provide that information). I always found that useful for seeing what song just finished playing (if I wasn't paying attention).

I guess this has been fixed by removing shoutcast completely from amarok :((
itlarson1
Registered Member
OS
I am in agreement about the need for the recently played history list. You can find out the band sometimes by clicking the back arrow in the wikipedia widget, but this is kind of roundabout. Streams can be saved as playlists by clicking the floppy disk icon.
Stecchino
KDE Developer
drinkingcoffee wrote:Hey All --
-- Also in 1.4 (if memory serves), we had the ability to view additional information for podcast episodes. Some podcast authors include comments, descriptions and track listings in the RSS feeds. Hopefully that's a feature that will be coming back? Maybe as a Widget?

It's back in out git repo already. Thanks to the work of panzi the information pulled from the RSS feed is not displayed in the info widget.