This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

On-the-fly transcoding

Tags: transcode, media device transcode, media device transcode, media device
(comma "," separated)
AusIV
Registered Member

On-the-fly transcoding

Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:22 pm
I like to keep my audio in FLAC on my computer, but I also have an iPod and a myTouch, neither of which supports FLAC. Currently I'm still using Amarok 1.4 because if offers on-the-fly transcoding, so any format conversions are transparent as far as I'm concerned.

I haven't been able to find any recent information about on-the-fly transcoding for Amarok 2. I found some very old discussion where it was suggested this would be built in rather than being made as a plugin, but I can't find anything that says it ever was built in.

Is this still on the horizon? Is there anything I can do in the meantime short of converting my computer's entire library to a supported format?
optiluca
Registered Member

Re: On-the-fly transcoding

Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:48 pm
I would also like to hear about this feature, as a lack of it makes iPod support rather useless for me atm, since most of my collection is in FLAC.. :(

Congrats to the developers for the great 2.2 betas though :)
aapgorilla
Registered Member
OS

Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:40 pm
+1 sorely missing since transkode hasn't been ported either
smithjd15
Registered Member
OS

Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:36 am
++1 because also using musepack almost exclusively on desktop.
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:43 am
aapgorilla wrote:+1 sorely missing since transkode hasn't been ported either

Well, that exactly is the problem. Somebody needs to port transkode to KDE4. So this doesn't exactly depend on the Amarok team, sorry.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...